Follow us on

'.

Alasdair Gold makes big Richarlison revelation after Tottenham reject Everton bid

Add as preferred source on Google

Tottenham Hotspur are in a stronger negotiating position with Richarlison than many Spurs fans imagine, amid rumours of the club rejecting Everton’s latest offer for the striker.

We are now just four days away from the start of the season and Richarlison’s future remains up in the air, with Roberto De Zerbi previously hinting that the striker is unsure if he wants to stay.

However, it appears that Tottenham are not desperate to let him go even though he has just a year left in his contract.

In fact, over the past few days, there have been rumours that Spurs have turned down an offer from Everton to re-sign Richarlison, and this comes just days after one Tottenham insider said Spurs want close to £40m for the 29-year-old.

Richarlison Tottenham
Credit: @thatfootballphotog / Instagram

Tottenham have an option to extend Richarlison’s contract

Football.London’s Alasdair Gold has now explained why De Zerbi’s men will not let Richarlison go on the cheap and are not at risk of losing him on a free next summer.

He reveals that the former Everton man’s contract situation is not as pressing as it was presumed. Even though he has just 10 months left on his deal, Spurs have the option to extend it by a further one year (until the summer of 2028).

This clause in Richarlison’s contract protects the North London club from anyone looking to sign the striker on the cheap this summer.

The Brazil international, who was the club’s top scorer last season, has continued finding the back of the net during pre-season, and looks set to lead the line in the club’s opening game of the season against Brentford on Saturday.

No shortage of late interest in Richarlison

Despite Tottenham being protected by the one-year extension clause, Gold stops short of suggesting that the centre-forward is set to stay at the club.

He reveals that there is no shortage of interest in Richarlison, with Flamengo keen on taking him back to Brazil, while new Benfica boss Marco Silva is said to have a strong relationship with the Tottenham man.

The journalist also confirms that Everton registered an interest in the striker earlier this summer, but reveals that they have not substantiated their interest or been in contact with Spurs since.

Have something to tell us about this article?