Roberto De Zerbi has reflected on Cristian Romero’s decision to miss Tottenham Hotspur’s Premier League relegation showdown against Everton on Sunday.
Spurs face arguably the biggest game in their recent history this weekend, but Romero will not be at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to support his teammates.
The Spurs captain has instead made the trip to Argentina to cheer on his boyhood club Belgrano in their domestic league final against River Plate on Sunday.
Many Tottenham fans are fuming with Romero’s decision to fly back to his home country, seeing it as a dereliction of duty from the 28-year-old, and the Spurs boss has now reacted to the controversy.

Roberto De Zerbi did not question Cristian Romero’s commitment to Tottenham
De Zerbi has now explained that the decision was taken between the defender and the medical staff, that the centre-back would return to Argentina to complete his rehabilitation ahead of the World Cup.
While the Tottenham boss said he cannot question Romero’s commitment to the cause, he admitted he understands the frustration of the supporters.
When asked about Romero’s decision to not be in attendance for Sunday’s game, De Zerbi told The Standard: “He spoke with the medical staff, and together they decided to go to Argentina to complete the rehab with the Argentine medical staff.
“We spoke last week. With me, he showed always he wants to stay with us. He is already injured. I’m not stupid. If there is any player who thinks for himself, I can’t be the same Roberto. But with Cuti, I can’t say nothing.”
When asked if he understands why the fans are angry with the 28-year-old, the Italian responded: “100 per cent I understand. The decision is with the medical staff. I have no time to lose energy, we have to be focused just on the game.
“We have players good enough to achieve our target. Not all leaders are the same. Ben Davies spoke to me today and asked if he could stay with the team. Romero is preparing for the World Cup.”
De Zerbi refuses to be distracted by Romero’s future at Spurs
This development comes amid heavy speculation suggesting that Tottenham have decided to cash in on their captain this summer.
However, De Zerbi has no time to think about the World Cup winner’s future, making it clear that his focus is fully on the clash against Everton.
When asked if Romero has already played his final game for Spurs, the 46-year-old responded: “I don’t know … After tomorrow, there is no trophy, no bonus. There is more than that. There is the history of the club, the pride of the players and their families, the dignity of everyone. I can’t lose energy on the future. I’m not stupid. I have clear ideas of what I want but there is a process.”
- READ MORE: De Zerbi provides positive Tottenham injury update on Maddison and Solanke for Everton clash
