Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
TURKISH

Your best Tottenham 11...

From players you've personally seen. I was born 88, so I was too young during Gazza and Lineker 91 side. This is all about form, Davids was a great player but did we see the best of him? So your 11 and why?

My team

abEH6XWak7.jpg

Gomes: The season we finished fourth he was sensational, some of the saves he pulled off was world class and was my spurs player of the season.

King: My captain and the best player I've seen wear our shirt. Different class, god knows how he was still performing at a high level during Redknapp's reign because he wasn't training.

Woodgate: Probably the greatest spurs debut I've seen, played against Chelsea in the CC alongside Ledley and he looked like he'd been there years. I didn't realise how good he was until he joined us, played a lot of games during his first full season and sadly broke down. He was top class.

Dawson: One of the most underrated players, his last ditch tackle against Basel a few weeks ago shows his heart and talents as a central defender.

Carrick: Spent two years with us and looked incredible, his passing and movement was a joy. Gutted he left, but could understand why, top, top player.

Anderton: I think Spurs fans forget just how good he was, the most underrated spurs player in recent history. Technically sound, clever footballer and deserved a testimonial. The club treated him badly, sadly he was hampered by injuries but he was one of my favourite Spurs players as a kid.

Modric: He was a genius, made the game look easy, my only criticism of him was his shooting power which on occasions made me wonder if Gail Platt was playing.

Ginola: During our dark days, we had to hold onto one of the few gems we had and Ginola was just a special player. A Tottenham player if you will, I remember friends saying to me "Tottenham are shit...but that Ginola's quality." 

Van der Vaart: He took the lane by storm, scored bucket loads of goals, made loads of assists and done it all by showing his quality. Fantastic two years he had at the club and always gave his all for the shirt.

Bale: Some spurs fans claim Gazza was the greatest player in the world after the world cup (although Maradonna/Mathias fans would probably disagree) I think Bale is the closest thing we've had to a superstar since.

Keane: Striker choice was hard, Sheringham was great, Defoe has scored more goals than Keane, Berbatov was majestic and who can forget Sandra...But Robbie Keane for a period of three years (before he joined Liverpool) was getting better and better. He was scoring 20 goals a season in all comps, making assists and never blowing hot and cold like Berbatov. His form was the best I've seen from a Spurs striker, I could always rely on Robbie and sadly his form dipped the moment he left.

Manager: Harry Redknapp

So, that's the best 11 players I've seen play for spurs. Lloris, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Lennon, Sandro could all make the list in a few years time, but at the moment that's my 11.

So whats yours?

I certainly have nothing to add to you long-time experts other then to say

it doesn't look like I missed much in the first 126 years or so, give or take.

Last 5-6, I suspect, have been about the best?  At least, I have seen

most of your picks in a Spurs jersey.

I certainly have nothing to add to you long-time experts other then to say

it doesn't look like I missed much in the first 126 years or so, give or take.

Last 5-6, I suspect, have been about the best?  At least, I have seen

most of your picks in a Spurs jersey.

It's not about picking the best spurs 11, it's about picking the best spurs 11 you've personally seen play. I've never seen Greaves play for spurs, so he wouldn't make it in my team.

Doesn't matter how long you've supported the club, just who were the best players in that time frame?

not sure how you manage that pretty football pitch pattern so here goes with mine reminisnant of setting up on the zx spectrum

GK -   Lloris, the first keeper who has fully filled me with confidence, we have had good keepers before but this guy will become the real deal. quick of his line, comes for crosses, good shot stopper, seems to make the right decision.

RB -    Carr, Had a couple of quality seasons at the lane marauding down the right flank, and also a competent defender, who can forget that goal versus the mancs, top corner, get in there fella.

LB - Ziege, German left back was awesome, only Chris Hughton would come close

CB - King,  enough said

CB - Roberts,  early crunching  tackle and  it sets the tone for the game, Graham would scare the living daylights out of any centre forward.

RW - Lennon, obviously the pace he has helps and he tracks back aswell, underrated in my book.

CM - Gazza,  no need to comment, single handedly took us to the cup final.

CM- Hoddle, Flair, Guile, could use both feet, eye for goal.

LM - Bale. stays wide, gets to the byeline and whips the ball in early doors for our two centre forwards

CF - Lineker, the poacher, in the right place at the right time, gets on the end of crosses from either wing and links up with Gazza telepathically

CF - Klinsmann, Could score goals with either foot, headers, gave us prescence in the box.

subs

Clemence,

Perryman

Modric

Ginola

Sheringham

Manager - El Tel

abEIa3Xakh.jpg

I'm in the same boat as Turk. Born in 93.

I'd pick these guys, at the peak of their powers in a Spurs shirt. 

Same reasons as Turk for Gomes, King, Woody, Carrick, Ginola, VdV, Bale.

Carr was a great right back. Consistent going forward and defending. Used to love watching him and Ginola ping cross-field passes to each other.

Ziege was a German international LB when he was with us. Oh, and I always remember the free-kick he scored against Arse and the fluke goal against Sunderland. Best LB we have had in years, especially when you see the likes of Thatcher, Thelwell, Y.P Lee, Taricco and BAE come after him. 

Lennon - The younger he was the more fearless he was. He used to tear new arseholes for teams. Especially remember the Blackburn game about 4 years ago. 

Sheringham - Before he went to United. My dad always wanted me to watch him when we went to matches, his movement and reading of the game as a striker was the best in the league and more than made up for his lack of speed.

Carr would've made my team, but I didn't rate any of the left backs that highly, although Ziege was a good player.

In the end I decided to pick three CB's so I could choose an extra attacker.

Lloris

Woodgate.  King. Vertonghen. 

Carrick.      Modric

Lennon.                                      Ginola

Vdv.     Bale. 

Klinsmann. 

I think mine would have to be:

Clemence; Hughton, Roberts, Mabbutt, Perryman; Bale, Hoddle, Gascoigne, Waddle; Lineker, Klinsmann.

Subs: Thorstvedt, Gough, Ardiles, Ginola, Sheringham and (on the basis of being a sub for all our cup final appearances in the 80s) - Garry Brooke!

Like a go at this, I can honestly say i have seen these play but have also tried to pick players actually seen and remember, Bloody Hard Though!!!!

Pat Jennings, no reason needed, absolutely the best!!

RB, Steve Perryman, the text book sliding tackle! None better. LB, Pat Van De Howe, rock as hard and twice a scary!!(not sure about the spelling)

CB Richard Gough and Ledley King Pure class and leadership, (If we can hold onto him Vertonghen will be in same bracket)

CDM Graham Roberts, in front of this back five collosal!! And just could not leave him out.

LM Gareth Bale, just could not leave him out, very difficult. RM Paul Gasgoine, unpredictable genious.

CM Glenn Hoddle, pure class, ( dont know how i have left Ossie out!!!)

Front Two, Sheringham and Klinsman, Quality.

Like everyone i could probably have named another dozen teams, with all different players, i can now hear you all saying: Ginola, Allen, Hughton, Ossie, Villa, Archibald, Crooks, Carr, i can also just about remember Chivers, Osgood, England and others but to be fair they were just at the end of their time and the start of my time following the Lillywhites.