Spurs Web
CJW1968

The Hoddle Sherwood thread MERGE 1x

I think De Boer would be hard to get.  He is very motivated by the Ajax project of rebuilding the great academy, player development and style of play that made them so great in previous decades.

But this is football, if you wave a wad of cash in front of him, a similar academy setup at spurs, a way better first team squad and way more transfer cash he might jump straight away.

Hiddink, De Boer, Laudrup-the rest can fuck off!

Other than Martinez but that won't happen. I'd love Hoddle to come back and be succesful as he is my hero, but with what happened last time I would fear the worst and if he fucked up again he would lose his God-like status and he does not deserve that.

Question for you all with more knowledge of Spurs teams past..how good was the squad that Hoddle managed? The squad we have now is surely a better and more complete unit? Maybe all the new Manager needs to do is assess the squad, pick the correct eleven and not chop change and play so negatively. Before this season we were all chuffed with the transfer business (after we accepted tha Bale would leave) and thought the sky was the limit. Now we have all (most anyway) turned and feel the new players are all shite. I'm sure they are not. They just need to work for their place and have it kept if the performance is there. AVB changed far too much for odd, and seemingly pointless reasons. Surely Hoddle could get us to the end of the season with no more disasters? He is a Spurs legend on the pitch. Surely he would garner a load of respect for that alone.

I also wondered whether Ledley King would or should be involved in coaching. Obviously not at the Manager level right away but in a Stephen Freund role perhaps?

According to the media Hiddink already ruled himself out.

I don't think De Boer will leave Ajax because he can build a great team at Ajax and play in CL. Why come to Spurs and live in a fish bowl?

Not sure about Laurdup. He didn't build the Swansea team. Rodgers and Martinez did.

What other options we have?

Question for you all with more knowledge of Spurs teams past..how good was the squad that Hoddle managed? The squad we have now is surely a better and more complete unit? Maybe all the new Manager needs to do is assess the squad, pick the correct eleven and not chop change and play so negatively. Before this season we were all chuffed with the transfer business (after we accepted tha Bale would leave) and thought the sky was the limit. Now we have all (most anyway) turned and feel the new players are all shite. I'm sure they are not. They just need to work for their place and have it kept if the performance is there. AVB changed far too much for odd, and seemingly pointless reasons. Surely Hoddle could get us to the end of the season with no more disasters? He is a Spurs legend on the pitch. Surely he would garner a load of respect for that alone.

I also wondered whether Ledley King would or should be involved in coaching. Obviously not at the Manager level right away but in a Stephen Freund role perhaps?

Hoddle managerial style was a typical spurs side, played good football but soft as a cushion. Mentally weak, poor man management skills and loved old pros looking for one last pay day. 

King in a coaching role? No, lets appoint people that can actually improve the team instead of giving jobs for the boys. 

Well he bought Postiga, Zamora and Kanoute, so some doubts there! But he also bought Robbie Keane, had Ziege, King. Etherington, Davies, Gardner, Richards, Ricketts, Redknapp, Acimovic. So some talent, but a lot of dross as well and nowhere near the squad we have now!

According to the media Hiddink already ruled himself out.

I don't think De Boer will leave Ajax because he can build a great team at Ajax and play in CL. Why come to Spurs and live in a fish bowl?

Not sure about Laurdup. He didn't build the Swansea team. Rodgers and Martinez did.

What other options we have?

Prandelli but he won't leave Italy ahead of a WC and remember the last manager we appointed before a WC...?

Swindon's Chairman Lee Power recently described him as "one of the most knowledgeable and forward-thinking men currently in the game."

Heard good things from parents of youth players, etc, about how he deals with people. As an interim measure, we could do worse.

Hoddle managerial style was a typical spurs side, played good football but soft as a cushion. Mentally weak, poor man management skills and loved old pros looking for one last pay day. 

King in a coaching role? No, lets appoint people that can actually improve the team instead of giving jobs for the boys. 

I'd take issue with the 'played good football' remark. We was decent-ish in 01-02 on route to the League Cup Final, but in 02-03 it was atrocious. One of the most bleak seasons I can recall...actually, perhaps the following one was even worse.

I'd take issue with the 'played good football' remark. We was decent-ish in 01-02 on route to the League Cup Final, but in 02-03 it was atrocious. One of the most bleak seasons I can recall...actually, perhaps the following one was even worse.

Well he tried to play good football, we either knocked the ball about or we got smashed.

It'll be Capello!! I have no doubt about it. Great friend of Baldini, proven track record in club management and a point to prove after the England job.

But I also said that spurs would beat Liverpool yesterday so what do I know.

Best league in the world.

Developing squad.

Money to spend.

New stadium on the way.

Fantastic training facilities.

Better money that he's on now of course.

Two of his previous players are already here.

On the verge of Champions League qualification.

There are many reasons why he may want to come here. 

It'll be Capello!! I have no doubt about it. Great friend of Baldini, proven track record in club management and a point to prove after the England job.

I have a feeling you are right.

And I'm not all too happy about it to be honest.

However, I think he could get great results.  He's been very successful in club management.

He was just totally unsuited to the England role, because they need technical coaching and that's not what he does well.

In club teams he will buy what he needs and organise them and get them working really hard.  It's not beautiful or ingenius, but look at his trophy list and achievements!

Long term you'd like someone exceptional in all ways.  Right now, Capello is not the worst shout to be honest.  We need results and we can iron out the philosophy when the right man is available.

De Boer is Dutch. He is a legend at Ajax. Ajax is his home team.

Best league in the world but also the most competitive league for a CL spot.

Levy can never spend more money than MU, Arsenal, MC, and Chelsea.

New stadium limit the transfer budget. This is a disadvantage.

If he come to Spurs, Levy will fire him within 24 mos because Levy tend to fire the manager unless the team qualify for CL.

Best league in the world.

Developing squad.

Money to spend.

New stadium on the way.

Fantastic training facilities.

Better money that he's on now of course.

Two of his previous players are already here.

On the verge of Champions League qualification.

There are many reasons why he may want to come here. 

Capello

The problem here is that the best managers are all in jobs. Hiddink was spurs interim choice but he took the dutch job. Of all the contenders; they are in work too. To reiterate: Capello? No thanks! Hoddle? Not after last time. Laudrup? Maybe if he wants the challenge. If u want repeats What about George Graham again or Venables? We won cups with them. Jol? All tried and failed. Backwards IS NOT the way fwd ! So who is there? Not many I fear but we need someone with new ideas and attacking football like M City Liverpool and Everton have adopted..... Opinions?

Capello was in London watching the Chelsea vs CP game on Saturday.

I'm starting to think that Levy already had talks with Capello to take over before the Liverpool game.

It's irony that AVB want a director and the director Baldini set him up to get his old boss Capello in.