Spurs Web
Knightwriter

Dembele and Paulinho

I go back to my original post and I actually see Dembele and Paulinho as problem players to fit into the side.  I really don't know why they bought Pauli, he's rubbish when he's not high up the pitch (and is he really that good to pick up the pitch as well?).  And I think Dembele was originally bought to play further up the pitch, but just started playing deeper because we were so desperate for any sort of ball play from deep last year.  I don't see either being that man to take control of the passing, which is what is needed at the top level to maximise your team.  And I'm not sure a player that's best quality is to dribble can play a sitting role effectively, because he will want to beat a man in an area that is better to use the ball, see a pass to move the play better. 

There are some unanswered questions about Holtby (which is why I'd like to see a loan), but I think we've seen enough of the two above to know what they can and can't do.  The reason for some hysteria over him leaving Turk is because he has shown incredible quality, great instincts for how to play correctly and winning mentality in some games here, for Schalke and in carrying a German u-21 side.  A lot of people feel he could turn out to be something very much from the top drawer.  I'm more amazed that you write off Holtby so quick and think Pauli is a more natural cm, when he's been so piss poor in that area of the pitch in basically every game, not even trying to take control of the ball and pass it well, which at least Holtby makes an effort at and may start to master.

The emergence of Bentaleb has further complicated things, and to me he seems like a far more accomplished player at playing the position than Dembele and Pauli, in terms of knowing what to do!

And Carroll is going to come back to play central mid.  Eriksen is probably made for a more forward role or coming off the left, but maybe can play a central midfield playmaker and develop into that position as well.

I see more logic in keeping Capoue to rotate with Sandro, and selling Pauli/Dembele, because they are players like Jenas that don't do enough in the centre of the pitch to merit starting in that position imo.  They are much better than Jenas because they are strong, good ball winners, and Dembele has way more talent, can ghost past players etc., but in knowing how to play there they are just as clueless.

I'd move Dembele more forward, I wouldn't sell him because he's a huge talent that just needs to use his abilities further up the pitch.  I'd get rid of Pauli, Siggy and loan out Holtby.

Thing about Sherwood is, I'm not sure he actually believes in the holding midfielder at all.

I think he believes in playing one lad that can play and one guy that is box to box like Dembele or Pauli.

And maybe has the right formula there, who knows. 

He only played a holding player in the match at old Trafford and he didn't seem to like that because he changed it in the second half.

Maybe he's said as much to Capoue, which is maybe why he knows he is toast and wants to leave.

Now, if Sherwood believes in no holding player, will Sandro get a game???

Probably the best defensive midfielder in Europe on top form.  Interesting to see how this develops.

It's all about opinions, but I think Pauline started well, went through a bad patch, but against Stoke he showed real quality, something I haven't seen from Holtby in the PL. 

I stand by my opinion regarding Holtby not having a position, but again it's all about opinions and we can argue ourselves to death over something so subjective.

I go back to my original post and I actually see Dembele and Paulinho as problem players to fit into the side.  I really don't know why they bought Pauli, he's rubbish when he's not high up the pitch (and is he really that good to pick up the pitch as well?).  And I think Dembele was originally bought to play further up the pitch, but just started playing deeper because we were so desperate for any sort of ball play from deep last year.  I don't see either being that man to take control of the passing, which is what is needed at the top level to maximise your team.  And I'm not sure a player that's best quality is to dribble can play a sitting role effectively, because he will want to beat a man in an area that is better to use the ball, see a pass to move the play better. 

There are some unanswered questions about Holtby (which is why I'd like to see a loan), but I think we've seen enough of the two above to know what they can and can't do.  The reason for some hysteria over him leaving Turk is because he has shown incredible quality, great instincts for how to play correctly and winning mentality in some games here, for Schalke and in carrying a German u-21 side.  A lot of people feel he could turn out to be something very much from the top drawer.  I'm more amazed that you write off Holtby so quick and think Pauli is a more natural cm, when he's been so piss poor in that area of the pitch in basically every game, not even trying to take control of the ball and pass it well, which at least Holtby makes an effort at and may start to master.

The emergence of Bentaleb has further complicated things, and to me he seems like a far more accomplished player at playing the position than Dembele and Pauli, in terms of knowing what to do!

And Carroll is going to come back to play central mid.  Eriksen is probably made for a more forward role or coming off the left, but maybe can play a central midfield playmaker and develop into that position as well.

I see more logic in keeping Capoue to rotate with Sandro, and selling Pauli/Dembele, because they are players like Jenas that don't do enough in the centre of the pitch to merit starting in that position imo.  They are much better than Jenas because they are strong, good ball winners, and Dembele has way more talent, can ghost past players etc., but in knowing how to play there they are just as clueless.

I'd move Dembele more forward, I wouldn't sell him because he's a huge talent that just needs to use his abilities further up the pitch.  I'd get rid of Pauli, Siggy and loan out Holtby.

would be interesting to see a strong 4-3-3 with dembele, sandro and pauli controling the mid 

I agree with knightwriter on the dembele front & I've been harpin on about it for weeks,Dembele is my no10 if I'm pickin the side & until paulie adapts his game to realise his time on the ball is half of what he's used to he's a liability in the middle of the park so for me he sits on the bench

Dembele is strong on the ball and skilful, but not one for quick passing. He always want to take a couple of touches and beat his man, which is ok further up the field, but potential suicide for a DM. He's a great player, but only if he is not played out of position.

I think that, when fit, Sandro has to be one of our central midfielders, with the second one being either Capoue or Paulinho, depending on whether we are home or away and  the set-up of our opposition.

I also think (as do a lot of people on this forum) that Lamela needs a good run in the team, but only if he is given a single position.  Swapping positions is not a good idea and was a big factor in AVB's demise. Lamela behind Soldado seems a great idea - and he can be substituted for Adebayor if we need to chase the game in the later stages or want to shake things up a little.

I don't think Dembele is doing suicide things, because it is very hard to get him off the ball, I just think he's playing like a winger or dribbling second striker in a deep position, which as many agree is not the best way to play in that area of the pitch. 

Let the ball do the work, get your head up and pick a good pass, preferably forward, as quickly as possible.

Maybe Sherwood has some new ideas about how to setup with box to box players that don't pass that well and maybe he can make it work.  I just don't see it every being brilliant with Dembele or Pauli in a deep position, essentially getting in the way of playing the ball with quality, tempo and progressively.

You might say Sandro or Capoue don't do that either, but they actually do it a lot better.  They are always available, give it quickly and try to play it progressively when they can.  And they are sitters and not ones that are being asked to take control of the ball.  It would also be easier to give freedom to a passer (like Bentaleb, Eriksen, Holtby or Carroll) to get forward when they play with one of them.

Dembele is such a gifted footballer that I think this masks the fact that he's essentially playing the position incorrectly.  That's my two cents anyway.