Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Borodin

Poor Old Brighton

They lost at home to Crystal Palace earlier and totally dominated the game. (sound familiar ??)

Brighton had 25 shots on goal and scored once. Palace had 2 shots on goal and scored twice. The last one being in the 95th minute. Benteke still banging them in.

Definitely proves the addage "It's goals that count".

Great observation Borodin ! This is where I get confused as we found ourselves in a similar position to what palace and west ham are in now, earlier in the season... Yes its the goals that count and win game but the majority of forum couldnt stand winning or drawing a game if it meant we had to sit back and invite pressure and concede more possession, but Palace and West ham will be praised for using "good tactics". Is it a double standard or is it because were a bigger club than both palace and stam that we expect more from our team, win or lose? 

COYS

1 minute ago, LiamCOYS said:

Great observation Borodin ! This is where I get confused as we found ourselves in a similar position to what palace and west ham are in now, earlier in the season... Yes its the goals that count and win game but the majority of forum couldnt stand winning or drawing a game if it meant we had to sit back and invite pressure and concede more possession, but Palace and West ham will be praised for using "good tactics". Is it a double standard or is it because were a bigger club than both palace and stam that we expect more from our team, win or lose? 

COYS

It is definitely double standards but possibly unconscientiously not realising it.

I too would love to win with attractive attacking football. for me, that is the Spurs way of playing. That said it is clear our 2 favoured CBs are prone to mistakes as are all the FBs. JM, probably, was right to use his defensive approach thinking he had Kane, Son and attacking mid fielders who could score. The problem with this tactic is that it lets the opposition fullbacks to get up the field to put in the crosses that lead to our mistakes conceding goals. It also means they are being allowed to control the game. Also it relies on those he expects to score taking their chances which they too often didn't.

I don't know what the answer is.

Have we been unlucky and those with winning streaks getting the breaks?  Also, leading from that, once a bad streak starts, does loss of confidence play a big part with players tightening up and making the mistakes that lead to dropping points. At it's best, this squad is good enough to be sitting in the top 4 rather than 9th this season. We aren't and the players have to take their share of the blame as well as JM. The difference between them is a manager must come up with the solution to put things right.

COYS