Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Gringospur

Dembele

Ok I'll probably get shot down for this!

I think the moose, who is rated as one of our better players, is either out of form or lacking confidence. I see he can be great at bringing the ball out from defence and starting an attack, but why is it Parker is the one doing this so much more, and usually getting berated when he runs into a dead end or losing the ball, Parker is the DM. Against Basel Dembele did run a couple of times, though had the opportunity to run and dribble numerous times, he just stalled and passed the ball backwards or sidewards. It seems to me he is scared to go forward, and even shits himself when gets near the final third. Gordon Strachan said the other night that it's like the team goes out for a kickabout and waits for Bale to work some magic and I'm tending to agree with him. Moussa should be screaming for that ball and driving forward. I wish he had a bit of Holtbys' aggression, then he would be something to talk about. Someone has to man up now Bale is out for who knows how long and I doubt it will be Dembele. Rant over : ))

Ok I'll probably get shot down for this!

I think the moose, who is rated as one of our better players, is either out of form or lacking confidence. I see he can be great at bringing the ball out from defence and starting an attack, but why is it Parker is the one doing this so much more, and usually getting berated when he runs into a dead end or losing the ball, Parker is the DM. Against Basel Dembele did run a couple of times, though had the opportunity to run and dribble numerous times, he just stalled and passed the ball backwards or sidewards. It seems to me he is scared to go forward, and even shits himself when gets near the final third. Gordon Strachan said the other night that it's like the team goes out for a kickabout and waits for Bale to work some magic and I'm tending to agree with him. Moussa should be screaming for that ball and driving forward. I wish he had a bit of Holtbys' aggression, then he would be something to talk about. Someone has to man up now Bale is out for who knows how long and I doubt it will be Dembele. Rant over : ))

I see exactly where your coming from. I said a few weeks ago. Parker should be holding and Dembele driving forward. 

I have no idea why he doesnt go forward more.

I think AVB wants them both to be box to box...presumably to make things less predictable. I do agree that Dembele seems better suited to press forward but he is also very strong and wins the ball extremely well. Next to Bale and Verthongen I think Moussa has been the most important Spurs player this season. He does many things very well and perhaps a few of us are just expecting more involvement in goals. It also could be that the hip is still bothering him. I always cringe when he is taken off. The opposition always gets more of the ball and more chances when he is not on the pitch. I think he will continue to get better, he has yet to hit his prime and still critical to our success.

No complaints from me.

we should NEVER have got rid of VDV, dont care how old he is or how much money we got for him, we are missing him and despite that are still 3rd, imagine where we'd be with him still here, he is still 100 times better than Dembele, OK maybe not quite that much but a lot better

Tottenham's Mousa Dembele backing players to step up in Gareth Bale's absence

Mousa Dembele is confident that Tottenham Hotspur will finish in the top of the Premier League even if Gareth Bale misses a number of key games.

Welshman Bale was stretchered off at the end of Spurs' Europa League game against Basel on Thursday with an ankle injury, and it was initially feared that his season could have been brought to a premature end.

There was positive news on Friday as scans revealed that Bale should be back in training in a fortnight, although Tottenham will have to cope without him against Everton on Sunday.

Dembele has faith in the rest of the squad, though, saying: "Can we make the top four without Gaz? Yes, of course we can.

"There are other good players who play well. He has been very important for us but other players have to step up now."

Dembele admits it is a blow to be without Aaron Lennon as well as Bale, with the England winger also expected to be back in a couple of weeks after picking up an injury against Basel.

"Everybody knows they are two very important players for us so it's another big disappointment," said Dembele.

"But I think we have a big, good squad and we have to concentrate on beating Everton now."

Belgian midfielder Dembele is backing his former Fulham team-mate Clint Dempsey as one of the players who can make a vital contribution for the final few weeks of the season.

He said: "I remember from my time at Fulham he was very important so I know what he can do.

"He can score important goals as well. He has just come back from injury but before that he was showing some good form.

"That's the reason I have confidence - but there are other players as well."

----------------------

Why does he sound like a team coach? Or is he just being humble?

It seems, in this statement, like he is hiding again! 

Moussa, come on mate, don't just back 'Dempsey and some other good players' to step up, back yourself, you are on the pitch! 

If Parker just stands still than we'll become much easier to defender against as we're playing a 442. We have no clever link up man who drops into the pockets, so Parker finds himself isolated with nobody to pass to, so he ends up doing a 360 and going on an adventure.

Our problem has been balance and not replacing our speed when certain players get injured. Speed is a big part of our game, take that away we have no plan b and become predictable.

Also picking Gallas who won't be here next season doesn't help, I would rather lose playing a young CB like Caulker, who will only benefit from playing. Gallas on the other hand looks like he doesn't give a shit, unless he has somebody else to blame.

If Parker just stands still than we'll become much easier to defender against as we're playing a 442. We have no clever link up man who drops into the pockets, so Parker finds himself isolated with nobody to pass to, so he ends up doing a 360 and going on an adventure.

Our problem has been balance and not replacing our speed when certain players get injured. Speed is a big part of our game, take that away we have no plan b and become predictable.

Also picking Gallas who won't be here next season doesn't help, I would rather lose playing a young CB like Caulker, who will only benefit from playing. Gallas on the other hand looks like he doesn't give a shit, unless he has somebody else to blame.

I agree with your points.  But, eh? Parker, Gallas, Caulker, are you sure you're in the right thread? ; )

I agree with your points.  But, eh? Parker, Gallas, Caulker, are you sure you're in the right thread? ; )

These points are key reasons why Parker bombs forward and Dembele doesn't find much space in front of him to exploit. Our system and lack of balance doesn't help Dembele and Parker who are facing teams who play 3 central midfielders.

Tottenham's Mousa Dembele backing players to step up in Gareth Bale's absence

Mousa Dembele is confident that Tottenham Hotspur will finish in the top of the Premier League even if Gareth Bale misses a number of key games.

Welshman Bale was stretchered off at the end of Spurs' Europa League game against Basel on Thursday with an ankle injury, and it was initially feared that his season could have been brought to a premature end.

There was positive news on Friday as scans revealed that Bale should be back in training in a fortnight, although Tottenham will have to cope without him against Everton on Sunday.

Dembele has faith in the rest of the squad, though, saying: "Can we make the top four without Gaz? Yes, of course we can.

"There are other good players who play well. He has been very important for us but other players have to step up now."

Dembele admits it is a blow to be without Aaron Lennon as well as Bale, with the England winger also expected to be back in a couple of weeks after picking up an injury against Basel.

"Everybody knows they are two very important players for us so it's another big disappointment," said Dembele.

"But I think we have a big, good squad and we have to concentrate on beating Everton now."

Belgian midfielder Dembele is backing his former Fulham team-mate Clint Dempsey as one of the players who can make a vital contribution for the final few weeks of the season.

He said: "I remember from my time at Fulham he was very important so I know what he can do.

"He can score important goals as well. He has just come back from injury but before that he was showing some good form.

"That's the reason I have confidence - but there are other players as well."

----------------------

Why does he sound like a team coach? Or is he just being humble?

It seems, in this statement, like he is hiding again! 

Moussa, come on mate, don't just back 'Dempsey and some other good players' to step up, back yourself, you are on the pitch! 

He must have read my 'one man team' thread ;-)

These points are key reasons why Parker bombs forward and Dembele doesn't find much space in front of him to exploit. Our system and lack of balance doesn't help Dembele and Parker who are facing teams who play 3 central midfielders.

Hopefully now Kaboul is nearly back we'll never see Gallas wear the shirt again.

I don't have a problem with Parker going forward, I just think Dembele should be doing more of that, taking more responsibility. After all he isn't he the one with the ball playing skills?  

Hopefully now Kaboul is nearly back we'll never see Gallas wear the shirt again.

I don't have a problem with Parker going forward, I just think Dembele should be doing more of that, taking more responsibility. After all he isn't he the one with the ball playing skills?  

As I've said mate, I think it's difficult for him playing in a 442 against teams that line up with 3 in the middle. With no width we also have players that keep coming inside which soaks all the space up.

I'm a big fan of Dembele, thought he was our best player Thursday night, he's not perfect but we look a poorer side without him and Sandro.

IMO, if Parker stopped going forward it would create the space for Dembele to go. Parker should just hold and link the play from front to back and left to right.

You'll still have the oppositions three central midfielders and we'll become very predictable with Parker staying back and only Dembele going forward.

Play the situation.

You'll still have the oppositions three central midfielders and we'll become very predictable with Parker staying back and only Dembele going forward.

Play the situation.

I see where your coming from and it would be stupid for Parker to hold all the time, but im saying that Dembele should be driving forward more than Parker. They can mix it up when they want.

Dembele has that rare ability to drift past players which would surely be better utilised in and around the penalty area rather than around the half way line. Im not expecting him to push forward constantly but I do think we would benefit from him commiting players in more dangerous areas. 

Interesting post from Trix on COYS.

Seen a lot of talk on here recently regarding who should and shouldn't be starting in the two CM/DM roles. Everyone obviously has a different opinion when it comes to what type of players we should play and who the partnership should be. Now stats don't always tell the whole story and I'm sure some will argue this point in this thread regardless of what it says in the thread title. Now I think I have covered most of the bases as far as what stats are the most important to a CM but I couldn't find any numbers on where passes were played etc. I only used the 5 players that have started regularly from CM and not those that have played in multiple positions like Dempsey and Gylfi who have played either wider or more advanced when they have started. It is also worth noting that Dembele and Sandro have a lot more games under their belts than the other three.

...........................Starts..............PC%..........TPG........KP...........T.............I...........G......A

Thudd....................6...................81.6...........23.6........0.6.........1.1..........0.7.........0......3

Sandro..................22..................85.7...........42.3.........1..........3.3..........3.6.........1.......2

Moose...................23..................90.7...........53.4........1.9.........3............1.5.........1.......3

Parker...................10..................83.2...........45.1.........1..........2.3..........2.2.........0.......1

Jake......................4...................86.1%.........25.5........0.5........1.3..........0.9.........0.......0

PC - Pass completion per game.

TPG - Touches per game.

KP - Average Key passes per game

T - Average tackles per game

I - Average number of interceptions per game

It is also worth noting that Sandro and the Moose win twice as many aerial duels than the other three.

Thudd 0.4,  Parker 0.4, Jake 0.4, Sandro 0.9, Moose 1

Very very simple for me in that when fit Sandro and Dembele are head and shoulders above the other three and that Parker and Thudd as back up are polar opposites as CM's and both offer something different. It is very easy to see why we looked so solid in midfield with the Moose-Beast  partnership as neither Parker or Thudd  are anywhere near being able to replace either.

All stats provided by http://www.whoscored.com/

Here's a comparison with a couple of players that don't play for Spurs any guesses on who they could be????

...........................Starts..............PC%..........TPG........KP...........D............T.............I...........G......A
Moose...................23..................90.7...........53.4........1.9..........2............3............1.5.........1.......3
??????.................18...................87.4...........44.4........1.6.........1.6..........1.2.........1.3.........2........1
???????................27..................88.0...........76.2........1............0.2...........2.2........2.2.........0........4

Not many red marks in Dembele's columns

Yep ..... Once agian no real cover in this position other than putting Verts at LB when Benny is not available or Naughton who is right footed.

Not really on topic but I must be missing something. Cannot understand how "benny" gets picked for the people's choice. Is he the best we have got?

the problem with pushing Dembele forward is that we dont have anyone capable of getting the ball to him then. He's currently the only player who is comfortable on the ball and willing to get it and keep possesion of it. By picking it up in our half he can then glide past players which in turn opens up plenty more gaps/space for other players to exploit. Without bale and lennon it doesn't get exploited as much.

Take him out of our midfield and you would struggle to watch Spurs because the only way the ball would go forward then would be a Dawson 50yrd diagonal to Ade and hope we win the second ball. Unfortuantely at the minute he is expected to be our Modric and VDV all rolled into one..

Here's a comparison with a couple of players that don't play for Spurs any guesses on who they could be????

...........................Starts..............PC%..........TPG........KP...........D............T.............I...........G......A
Moose...................23..................90.7...........53.4........1.9..........2............3............1.5.........1.......3
??????.................18...................87.4...........44.4........1.6.........1.6..........1.2.........1.3.........2........1
???????................27..................88.0...........76.2........1............0.2...........2.2........2.2.........0........4

Not many red marks in Dembele's columns

Do they play in this country im going to take a stab at 1 on the bottom is that carrick

Very interesting to see this Turkish, thanks for posting.

...........................Starts..............PC%..........TPG........KP...........T.............I...........G......A

Thudd....................6...................81.6...........23.6........0.6.........1.1..........0.7.........0......3

Sandro..................22..................85.7...........42.3.........1..........3.3..........3.6.........1.......2

Moose...................23..................90.7...........53.4........1.9.........3............1.5.........1.......3

Parker...................10..................83.2...........45.1.........1..........2.3..........2.2.........0.......1

Jake......................4...................86.1%.........25.5........0.5........1.3..........0.9.........0.......0

What I noticed too was Thudds lower stats... until the assists, 3 in 6 starts.        

If we want goals (not just ours), he should be starting!