Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Balesrightboot

Thoughts on the season

We have no discernible method or style of play.

The football has been on way too many occasions, piss poor.

Defensively we are rubbish, we have conceded as many goals as relegated Burnley and Hull conceded LESS goals.

Points total is very low.

Kane's breakout season has masked a lot of problems.

Poch seems to have isolated too many players, whether deserved or not, I would expect better man management.

Positives we beat the Arse and Chavs with very good team performances.

Kane, Dier, Rose, Bentaleb all progressed and are the backbone (with Lloris) of a young squad.

I live in hope that I'm wrong on Poch, but for an ex international defender to not get to grips with this defence is shocking.

Previous seasons it was the "Big" teams we dropped all our points against.  This year we split with Chelsea, took 4 from Arse, and at least looked like we could play with them.  Then we lost the double to Stoke, lost to Villa, drew away to Burnley, lost to Newcastle and WBA.  Those were critical points and despite finishing above Liverpool they did the double with a combines score of 6-2.  So for me its a case of what could have been as we only missed 4th by two wins.

The big concern is how to stop the onslaught of goals conceded.  I just wonder how many more there would have been without Hugo.  And of course there is that niggling doubt about MP and his perseverance with the formation and youngsters that were at times brilliant yet at times horrible.  

Overall, 5th and a Cup Final seems on paper quite good but as mentioned above I still find myself left disappointed.

It might only take one or two players in the right positions to change everything , Bring in Alderweireld to partner Vertonghen , guy can play right back too , Schneiderlin to anchor midfield and maybe Rodriguez in a front two , out can go Kaboul , Chiriches , Fazio , Capoue , Adebayor . Stambouli , Lamela , Soldado , Paulinho .....

Spot - tea, I like your choice of new players.

I'd like to keep Lamela and give him until January to prove himself.

I really want him to be a success.

It's going to be a fire sale.

Take whatever someone offers,,,,,lets get rid of them

Spot - tea, I like your choice of new players.

I'd like to keep Lamela and give him until January to prove himself.

I really want him to be a success.

Thank you Stan , i to would love Lamela to succeed , alas , i think the premiership is to fast a league for him , that's why he did well and looked a decent player in       Serie "A" .... the players i have chosen are pretty realistic targets in my humble opinion , very gettable ...

I think we can all agree that we need to get rid of deadwood and FAST. The reason why Poch froze out some of the players on our team was because they probably weren't his type of player and credit to him for getting top 5 and a cup final with the shite players we had. Once deadwood is gone, he can start investing in players he wants. I'm not expecting us to buy a solid defender, a CM, a winger and a backup striker all in the summer, but I do expect him to start making good progress with our club in the next 2 seasons. COYS

Well said,,,ANewEra

I think that pretty well sums up the feelings and hopes of us all

I think we can all agree that we need to get rid of deadwood and FAST. The reason why Poch froze out some of the players on our team was because they probably weren't his type of player and credit to him for getting top 5 and a cup final with the shite players we had. Once deadwood is gone, he can start investing in players he wants. I'm not expecting us to buy a solid defender, a CM, a winger and a backup striker all in the summer, but I do expect him to start making good progress with our club in the next 2 seasons. COYS

You DON'T think we will strengthen in those area's ? god knows we need too ....

Pocchetino was brought in to progress us, and by taking us from 6th to 5th...he has. But that's a very basic view of what's been a very frustrating campaign, there were so many thrown away points this year, had we won home bankers against the Toon, Villa, WBA and Stoke, we'd be in the CL places...simple as that, it's no good smashing Chelsea if you can't get the easier things right. 

That Chelsea performance along with Arsenal, were the first signs that we have a team capable of challenging at the top...but those moments in the sun were all to brief, and can be given over to London derby pride, as they were not replicated over 38 games, the performance against West Ham at home I especially remember being utterly woeful. It was moments like that when I thought to myself, what has this new gaffer actually done for us. But you can see the team is more united, the rebel elements have been removed and loads of young talent has been able to thrive. Rose's improvement has been out of sight, and Bentaleb, Mason and Dier all look like top quality young players. 

If we can keep the big players, I know Kane will stay, but we need to keep Lloris, Eriksen and Vertonghen (who is a great defender when his head is right)...and then sell the players who are stinking up the squad (Kaboul, Capoue, Chiriches, Ade) replace them with decent players, and also build the team around Lamela, I honestly think the boy is just waiting to explode onto the PL scene, he just needs the right players around him

Can't complain about 5th...in November I thought we were in for a relegation scrap. 

It looks like we are targeting Kieran Trippier. Perhaps Poch want a proven player to compete with Walker. This means Yedlin and Fredericks will be gone.

Schneiderlin wants CL. I guess we can go for Everton's James McCarthy.

Chicharito is available for a reasonable fee. He is a proven goalscorer in PL. And he often scores as a sub.