Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
SurreySpur

Next Season.....

Next season could be a big, big opportunity for both Spurs and Arsenal to really cause an upset. With United, Chelsea and City all under new management there could be a real chance for us to push on and challenge for the league. If we can keep hold of Bale and Lloris and hopefully add some more quality to the squad I believe we should be looking at taking advantage of the change of regimes. I'm not saying we are in a position to win it but I firmly believe we can be right up there.  

C'mon Levy, put your hand in your pocket and fund a title challenge. COYS!!!

Everton fell apart because Moyes is gone and Baines and Fellaini will leave too.

Liverpool will improve but not enough to challenge because lack of funds and overpriced players in the squad.

Chelsea will win the league with Mourinho return.

City will struggle under new manager or Mancini

Rooney will be sold. MU will struggle under Moyes if any injuries problem with CB/RVP.

Arsenal stay the same because Wenger refuse to pay big money on signing.

We will cause an upset and finish 3rd.

all depends on who spends money wisely and in what positions, think Chelsea will be the team to beat next season with Mata, Hazard and Oscar flourishing in front of 2 holding midfielders probably Ramirez and Luiz. the incoming Man City manager needs to get a team spirit instilled, Moyes will buckle under the pressure of the Man U job, Liverpool will be solid and Moutinho or whatever his name is will player of the year, he is top draw. we need to buy quality upfront, think our defence and Midfield takes care of itself, The gooners well you never know. going to be a close run thing with all the top teams beating each other.

ENIC failed to strengthen the squad for the last two years, especially last January when we were in a title run for the first time since 87, what did our owners do? They sold key squad players and replaced them with freebies which weakened the side.

To ENIC the clubs just a long property deal, they have no interest in battling for trophies and they've shown no ambition during the recent windows. They went into this season with one fit striker, no wing cover for Lennon which has cost us two years running prior to that summer.

So if we're going to battle for honors next season, the club will need a striker who will score goals consistently and a top class winger who will play LW since Bale's moved more centrally. 

well I understand what you are saying Turks, but recently they showed a graph of spending over the last 10 years or so,  maybe more, and we were from memory 5th after Chel, Man C, Liv, Man U, then us,

Thing is they/we haven't always bought right nor at the right time.

But yes, some decent investment on the right players in Jan would have been nice , though QPR did that and still went down so....... balance is important as now they're stuck with either losing them at a loss or paying the wages without the income.  I know we wouldn't have gone down but putting in investment and then STILL not getting CL would have cost us.

The fact they didn't invest even when we were in CL and doing well in it was baffling!

I agree with your post Mjb, but...

We've also sold a lot of players during that time for big, big money and do you know why ENIC invested so much during the early stages? Because they knew in order to earn a huge profit once they sell the club, they needed to invest and that investment stopped at our most critical period. How much did ENIC buy the club for? How much is their shares worth now? £400m?

Once the club achieved CL football our spending grinded to a halt. ENIC will make a huge profit now, so they won't invest and take us to that next level. Did you know Daniel Levy personally earned a pay rise this year? But yet we only had one fit striker for the majority of our season, which cost us a real chance of possibly finishing in the CL place and Cup glory.

So will ENIC go for glory? No. Yes we have spent a lot of money over the years but considering our ticket prices are some of the most expensive in Europe, with the amount of revenue the club has earned and the new TV deal which will add huge sums of money to the clubs capital, I feel justified in our lack of ambition since the club first achieved CL football.

I agree mate with what you say and we are solid, others have been in our position and over extended themselves and divebombed as a result, Leeds, Blackburn even Newcastle albeit different scenarios etc ,only the mega rich have stuck it out and even they fail (City, Chelsea), its a fine line and balancing act and they not quite getting it right bit it's still more right than wrong, IMO

I don't expect us to spend £30m on a striker, but your telling me we can't afford 3 strikers at the club, when we always had four?

Remember when ENIC bought Darren Bent for a record fee, even though we had Berbatov, Keane...and Defoe?

Financially we are in very good shape, which is done to ENIC, but I think they've been very frugal since we qualified for the CL.

We are a business chaps unlike those teams above us. I think there will be a decent investment in the coming summer regardless of where we finish. I think the manager has shown the board enough this season to trust him with a few quid unless of course Mr Sherwood has an issue with it. Obviously the quality of the incoming players will be less if we don't get champions league.

Our problem with selling the better players hasn't necessarily been Mr levy's fault because apart from Rafa the others wanted to leave so what do you do. 

Thankfully Bale is on board for next season at least and that can only help in attracting new players..

Like who???  i reckon we will sign at least 3 players but will they be good enough for us fans !!!!

All i ask is, we get the players that we need. It's not like we need 7-8 players just 3-4 will be enough to improve the squad, and thats all the fans want to see, signing the players we need.

Turk said he doesnt expect a £30 mill striker, but if we can get a prolific goal scoring striker and maybe wing cover and a bob to box midfielder for around a net loss of £15 million then i think that would be enough to take us to the next level, then the CL will repay that loss.

I suppose he wants to save up for the stadium, but as I said before if he wanted to really build the stadium then it would be done or close to completion. 

In all honesty I think Levy is hoping that we get into CL on small budget, then he will probably want to sell up and let the new owners take over the stadium project.

Thats up to AVB, deffo need a new striker and wing cover. Who? i don't know, one thing i do know there is better players out there.

Like who???  i reckon we will sign at least 3 players but will they be good enough for us fans !!!!

I agree with Scott-Spur this could be a big season for us with what has happened at other clubs. I feel that for the first time in many years we have a manager with a plan and we are not just hoping that we play well on the day. The spirit is excellent and although some games have not gone the way we want I cant think of a game where we have been outplayed. A reliable striker and a bit more creativity in the middle of the park and we can push on.

JD is already proven, moreso than Benteke , a possible one season wonder like Zaki (sp)? , Michu has dried up in the second half, , why do we want to replace JD, or is this replacing Ade :-)

I'm pretty sure Moyes will take Baines with him to Mau Utd and i have heard he might take Fellani and Jakeilka aswel, all average players IMO, maybe Baines being the exception as he is quite solid with his performances. This Damiao keeps cropping up, maybe we wil finally get him but i wouldn't hold your breath.

I have said before, Ade on his day is more effective than Defoe, but can we take the risk of him playing when he feels like it .... No! But we also need more than two strikers as two just isn't enough for a team pushing for CL and playing in Europe.

JD is already proven, moreso than Benteke , a possible one season wonder like Zaki (sp)? , Michu has dried up in the second half, , why do we want to replace JD, or is this replacing Ade :-)