Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
BlockFeet

Latest rumours

yeah, because spurs just aren't the type of club to sell players for a quick buck, lol

Well then, can you name me one world class player Levy sold who didn't himself force a move? One who he sold, just because another team threw money at us? If anything, he has tried to hold on to our best players (Modric he managed to actually keep for an extra season). So if you can name one, I'm all ears and will concede your point. Not an average player, mind you, but one that is world class or star in the making.

And you think Levy will pay 22-25m for him , pigs may fly ....

I guess we'll find out in the next 4 weeks. If he manages to Levy Brom and pay less, I wouldn't be disappointed, though. :-)

I do think it will probably be somewhere in the £20m range, give or take mil.

exactly how many seasons of growing pains can we all endure before we 'solidly challenge'. When was the last time we weren't a team in transition under ENIC, lol.

ENIC has taken us very far from where we were when they took over, to the point that we're consistently in the top 6 and even made top 4 a couple of times displacing teams with much more financial clout than us. Add to that a world class training facility and now a new stadium, which will be the catalysts in us making the next step. Short of some oil billionaire buying the club, I don't see any way we could have progressed this far without going bankrupt.

Now obviously the transfer policy of the past years didn't work particularly great. The other alternative is to develop young players and with a coach like Poch it seems like the right strategy for now (don't forget, we have a stadium to build and that costs money). And it seems to me the right approach at this time. When in the recent past have we had so many promising youngsters like Kane, Alli, Pritchard, Dier, Bentaleb? But it takes time. Hopefully we'll stay the course and see it pay dividends in the near future.

But if you have any suggestions as to how we can speed up the process, while being fiscally responsible until the new stadium is built, please do share.

ENIC has taken us very far from where we were when they took over, to the point that we're consistently in the top 6 and even made top 4 a couple of times displacing teams with much more financial clout than us. Add to that a world class training facility and now a new stadium, which will be the catalysts in us making the next step. Short of some oil billionaire buying the club, I don't see any way we could have progressed this far without going bankrupt.

Now obviously the transfer policy of the past years didn't work particularly great. The other alternative is to develop young players and with a coach like Poch it seems like the right strategy for now (don't forget, we have a stadium to build and that costs money). And it seems to me the right approach at this time. When in the recent past have we had so many promising youngsters like Kane, Alli, Pritchard, Dier, Bentaleb? But it takes time. Hopefully we'll stay the course and see it pay dividends in the near future.

But if you have any suggestions as to how we can speed up the process, while being fiscally responsible until the new stadium is built, please do share.

You seem a very intelligent man, I've enjoyed reading your posts this morning. Well executed and a lot of truth and knowledge involved.

Well then, can you name me one world class player Levy sold who didn't himself force a move? One who he sold, just because another team threw money at us? If anything, he has tried to hold on to our best players (Modric he managed to actually keep for an extra season). So if you can name one, I'm all ears and will concede your point. Not an average player, mind you, but one that is world class or star in the making.

re-read your post above - you've just made my point for me, ask yourself why they chose to force a move away from the club. They're the ones who know the club, they turn up for training every day, turn up to the ground to play every weekend and ultimately they saw a club going nowhere. The life cycle of a pro footballer is short, they wanted to be competitive, test themselves against the best players, challenge for honors but they realized the owners didn't want the same. Don't make promises to a player to get him to sign and then hold your hands up in the air when he realizes those promises have been broken. we had our chances to cement a place in the top 4 under harry but bulked at the investment to do it. balancing the books is fine but at some point spurs will have to speculate a little to accumulate. And that's the point with spurs - it's always about the money because the owners don't really want to invest anything substantial - eventually they'll sell the club and make a nice profit, especially once the new stadium is realized. They're not the kind of owners I want at spurs - I like to see a bit of ambition, I realize that probably sets me apart from certain contingent of spurs fans. And that's fine, just don't go round pretending any different. Don't go round pretending your a top club, or that you've got pretensions to being a top 4 club, and charging prices accordingly, don't go trading on your past by constantly showing repeats of the double winning team on big screens. Don't go round sacking managers (that's 12 the last 15 years!) because they didn't get you into the top 4 when you know full well you never gave them the right tools to do the job.

Good points made, but then you messed it up talking about Spurs being fiscally responsible. Financially responsible maybe, but fiscal refers to Government spending!

re-read your post above - you've just made my point for me, ask yourself why they chose to force a move away from the club. They're the ones who know the club, they turn up for training every day, turn up to the ground to play every weekend and ultimately they saw a club going nowhere. The life cycle of a pro footballer is short, they wanted to be competitive, test themselves against the best players, challenge for honors but they realized the owners didn't want the same. Don't make promises to a player to get him to sign and then hold your hands up in the air when he realizes those promises have been broken. we had our chances to cement a place in the top 4 under harry but bulked at the investment to do it. balancing the books is fine but at some point spurs will have to speculate a little to accumulate. And that's the point with spurs - it's always about the money because the owners don't really want to invest anything substantial - eventually they'll sell the club and make a nice profit, especially once the new stadium is realized. They're not the kind of owners I want at spurs - I like to see a bit of ambition, I realize that probably sets me apart from certain contingent of spurs fans. And that's fine, just don't go round pretending any different. Don't go round pretending your a top club, or that you've got pretensions to being a top 4 club, and charging prices accordingly, don't go trading on your past by constantly showing repeats of the double winning team on big screens. Don't go round sacking managers (that's 12 the last 15 years!) because they didn't get you into the top 4 when you know full well you never gave them the right tools to do the job.

You make some good points, but we really don't know what promises the club gives to players. You are correct though, that a world class player wants to play in a world class team and we aren't there yet. So we'll have a hard time holding on to these kind of players until we get to that point. However, what I responded to was your statement that, if someone throws money at us, we sell and that's simply not the case.

Good points made, but then you messed it up talking about Spurs being fiscally responsible. Financially responsible maybe, but fiscal refers to Government spending!

Oops, you're right. That's what happens when you're writing on a couple of different forums at the same time.

Just read that De gea has been dropped for the Spurs game , still talk of him going to Madrid , Utd will not let him go for nothing next year when they can get 25-30m for him now , just hope we don't see Lloris going to OT before the window closes ....

Then there was a quote from Poch saying that Lloris may not feature in the OT match because he's not ready yet to handle a full 90 minutes, which didn't make much sense to me.  I mean, he's a keeper with a wrist injury that seemed to be just fine against AC Milan, so how difficult is it to play 90 minutes?! 

Call me paranoid, but the combination of De Gea leaving and Poch's statement don't look good.

another fine piece I've read today. The debate could go on forever, I see both sides, I remember early 90,s when sugar sacked ole terry and we boycotted the start of the game in protest which lasted all of about 15 minutes, anyway back then we were in bad state with scholar then Alan and the club had its ups and downs and true we are very stable now but we crave for that little bit more, why didn't we push on and back Harry as he needed 2-3 players to make our first genuine title challenge since 87? Since then I guess Daniel has seen the wasted bale money and decided to tighten the purse strings then blame his manager for not breaking into the holy grail. The fact is we will finish 6th this year and for the next few years until we go for broke. I long for that day

Where is Harry now? I don't want to sound ungrateful but I can't hear that anymore! We had fantastic players and a more fantastic team and there a reasons why Harry isn't our manager anymore! 

Where is Harry now? I don't want to sound ungrateful but I can't hear that anymore! We had fantastic players and a more fantastic team and there a reasons why Harry isn't our manager anymore! 

And the reasons are that he royally screwed up in 2012 when his head got all big with the England job.  We were 5 points behind the leaders and 13 ahead of the scum and with a chance to challenge for the title at the end of January.  By the end of March we were 18 points behind and the scum were 3 points ahead of us.  We managed a total of 6 points out of a possible 24 in those two months.  I mean, you have to try really hard to screw things up so bad. 

I think you make some valid points, but I,ll ask you this..........

We get an injection of money from Sheik Loadsadoe or Comrade Doggiegeezer and buy a dozen or more mercenaries every

other season and eventually end up winning The EPL twice in 6 years. Or we look to build a squad of players who share

and buy into an entertaining, footballing philosophy and team ethic, that have an appreciation of what it just might feel like

to upstage the likes of the above!

For me, Win, Lose or Draw! Integrity over Imitation every time!

COYS!!

up winning The EPL