Spurs Web
Neophyte

FAC: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Rochdale

Tottenham v Rochdale  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What's your result?

• Win
    • Lose

Does anyone have a method of knowing which Spurs team is going to show up for any given match? I'm buggered if I do. If they take their minds off their social media apps or whatever it is young guys idle there time away on, and switch on to concentrating about the game in hand, it shouldn't prove too much of a problem. However, Spurs being Spurs it makes taking a decision on the result a normally easy tp predict game a bit of a raffle. 

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go for a win a and pray for a night off from Spursey worry. 

COYS

2 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

Does anyone have a method of knowing which Spurs team is going to show up for any given match? I'm buggered if I do. If they take their minds off their social media apps or whatever it is young guys idle there time away on, and switch on to concentrating about the game in hand, it shouldn't prove too much of a problem. However, Spurs being Spurs it makes taking a decision on the result a normally easy tp predict game a bit of a raffle. 

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go for a win a and pray for a night off from Spursey worry. 

COYS

I think what we have seen as inconsistency is really tied to two things...

1. Getting guys just off long term injury back in the mix. Toby, Wanyama, Rose and, to a lesser extent, Winks, have all been out a long time. That takes the edge off not just match fitness but also connection with teammates, which then makes it look like the whole side is just not dialed in. Add Llorente with his slow, pondersome play and painful work rate (at least when compared to Kane) and you the recipe for a team that appears to have just not shown up. 

2. Poche's starting selection. This isn't a huge issue but I do see a problem at times. Today, for example. He had to do what he did with the CBs and CMs due to the knocks to Vertonghen and Alderweireld which put Dier in the backline and brought on Wanyama to play DM so no argument there. However, with those changes I think I would have started Son and left Lamela on the bench due to Son's greater time on the pitch with the rest of the first team. Too many changes at once just seem to slow Spurs play down and give lesser opposition a chance to hang around.

Something I find unfathomable is in those games when the tempo drops. For me, it too often comes across as a lack of urgency in that they just assume goals will eventually come so long as they keep possession. In those games where we have pressed hard and moved the ball around quickly, we have looked and been formidable. City and Liverpool seem to be able to reproduce it on a more  regular basis than we. Or put the other way have less 'flat' days.

I get the impression that, while are best side play well together, certain combinations just don't gel in the same way. Should Poch be noticing this? I don't know. Also, outside of our 4 main scorers, it seems we have no one else capable of taking the rare chances that fall their way. It would be nice if at the end of the season we had 4 or 5 others with 2 or 3 goals to their name. For me, that is a major reason we are not lying 2nd. We seem too reliant on our fab four with no plan B when they don't score. A couple of seasons ago we had more names popping up on the score sheet. Not too evident this season.

My comments in my post above were a bit flippant and tongue in cheek but carry an underlying element that there is something not as it should be that needs attention.

COYS

We won at Palarce 1-0 last season with a late goal from The Dane..... They are not an easy side to play against. 3 points and a clean sheet at this stage of the run in is a good habit to get into.

Same as before. Obviously Verts will be rested, to ensure he is fit for Juve, and possibly Huddersfield.

Maybe Toby might get some time as well. I'd like to see KWP start, along with Lucas and maybe even give this young striker, with 6 goals in 2 games, a run from the bench.....

If I had to guess I think we see more of a mix this week with some first teamers:

Vorm

Trippier, Foyth, Dier, Rose

Wanyama, Winks

Moura, Dele, Son

Kane

Alderweireld could be the choice instead of Dier if he is healthy after the knock on the knee late last week. Not sure if we will ever see Llorente in the 18 again...

THFC.com says

Starting XI: Vorm (c), Trippier, Dier, Foyth, Rose, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Son, Lucas, Llorente.

Substitutes: Gazzaniga, Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Dembele, Dele, Eriksen, Kane.

Mauricio makes nine changes to the team that won at Crystal Palace on Sunday - only Eric Dier and Erik Lamela retain their places in the starting XI.

SSN just announce Wanyama playing (instead of Sissoko) .....wtf ?

This VAR is a joke.

When Moura appealed for a penalty the ref waved play on,it was only when the ball went out of play did he look at the VAR,then awarded a penalty.

What would have happened if Rochdale had scored during that time that he played on?

Would it then have been disallowed because of the foul on Moura.,it's bizarre ,,,,this hasn't been thought out properly.

I'm not sure what to say about VAR   It certainly was a very stressful first half for me.

I don't think the system should be scrapped though because all managers/players/fans have complained about decisions in the past with many stating the need for TV assistance  

The time taken to come up with a decision is really disrupting though and when the wrong decision is made, criticism is deserved. 

At least the result was good. I'm delighted for Llorente, his finish for the first was very classy and a perfect hatrick too. 

Finally through to the next round and our run continues. 

I have advocated for VAR for years having seen it with Rugby Union. After the debacle of last night, In it's present form, I am now no longer enthusiastic. I have always been irked when results have gone to the wrong team. However, if they can't get it 100% right what's he point? Football, in my opinion has to flow. Waiting for the result disrupts momentum. For me it spoils the atmosphere. Unless they can  get it up on board for all  to see with the voices of the ref and VAR replies to be heard, I personally don't want it now. It also needs to be as quick as we see it on TV.

Now that is off my chest, great game and result last night. The B team done good as they say and came of age. Llorente showed he can score when given game time and the sort of crosses he plays to. The newcomers and bench players stepped up to the mark and now are putting pressure on first choice players to maintain their standards The world is looking rosy for the future.

COYS

Hilarious when the thick commentator got Rose and KWP mixed up in the right hand corner when they were running down the clock, despite different hairstyles and a different number on the shirts......

Also, that massive bellend 'lily' savage calling Lucas Moura ......"Moira" even though he was mostly praising him for his efforts.

I thought that Sissocko actually did well standing in for Wanyama, and a good assist when he did get forward.

Talk about a game of two halves for Llorente. Absolutely shocking first half, then suddenly remembered how to finish with composure.

Really pleased that KWP's cameo finished with a goal...

19 hours ago, GPK said:

This SisSOCKO guy looks quite decent - much better than Sissoko (for those watching on BT Sport)

And apparently according to BT sport Moira was playing!! That and the bizarre comment fromRobbie Savage "Lamela is so good in the air" RaeALLY 

5 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

Sod VAR - the biggest jokes last night were the performance of Sis-sock-o and Dire.

And more worryingly, what's up with Winks???? Looks a shadow of the lad who bossed v Real Madrid and apparently ( I had radio on) wasn't going into tackles, looked lost. I really hope Poch or one of the older players mentors  him because I really rate him and hate to see him struggling......