Spurs Web
Tonto911

The Poch

4 minutes ago, Paxton said:

Agreed. I wasn’t referring to ‘opinion’ per se , I was  referring to the use or misuse of it. 

Paxton, I left school at 15 at a time when I am not sure there were exams....I know I am worldly wise in a not educated sort of way but always answer a few questions in quizzes and day to day events but do not understand this comment.

Can you break it down into how " Opinion is used or misused"?

7 minutes ago, Asc3 said:

Paxton, I left school at 15 at a time when I am not sure there were exams....I know I am worldly wise in a not educated sort of way but always answer a few questions in quizzes and day to day events but do not understand this comment.

Can you break it down into how " Opinion is used or misused"?

Gladly. Just cooking the dinner. So I will reply a bit later on! 

55 minutes ago, Asc3 said:

Forum.....Without Opinion there is no forum....

There is some truth in that. However I see a huge difference to constantly reiterating a view again and again and again try to get others to change their views to yours. For me that is when a discussion changes to an argument - especially when the post is more slagging off the individual rather than keeping to the subject.

We are all entitled to hold opinions and that is mine. 

COYS

34 minutes ago, Paxton said:

You! Cooking dinner.......I hope the fire brigade are on standby 

The last time I cooked dinner for Dianne it was.....alphabet spaghetti on toast.

That's how she learned to spell her name.

24 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

There is some truth in that. However I see a huge difference to constantly reiterating a view again and again and again try to get others to change their views to yours. For me that is when a discussion changes to an argument - especially when the post is more slagging off the individual rather than keeping to the subject.

We are all entitled to hold opinions and that is mine. 

COYS

Wow. A fair point I suppose. I wold not have expected that from you.

54 minutes ago, Paxton said:

James has beat me to it.

Picture this: Every week Stan, James & I meet in the 'Ref & VAR' pub . I bang on all the time about how Poch has to go and give the same opinion over and over despite them telling me they got it the first time. Stan (because he's an aggresive sod) tells us Poch is the answer etc and tells us to shut up, stick our views up our arse and worse (ring any bells? - no not you!) This I believe this a "misuse of opinion" . It is either repetitive unecessarily or "hammering it home".

But as I said - while Poch is still manager and, for some regardless whether he turns things around, the thread is still 'live' and I feel the examples of misuse or opinion will continue so that's why I replied to James saying, despite him hoping we can perhaps agree to differ, I think it is likely to continue. But as you say it's a Forum and that is the nature of the beast. As I said a week or so ago I was taking a backseat because i feel this issue is sucking the oxygen out of the room in terms of nothing much else can happen in terms of threads etc. and each day the same points are repeated. But it's probably me not the Forum.

17 minutes ago, Paxton said:

James has beat me to it.

Picture this: Every week Stan, James & I meet in the 'Ref & VAR' pub . I bang on all the time about how Poch has to go and give the same opinion over and over despite them telling me they got it the first time. Stan (because he's an aggresive sod) tells us Poch is the answer etc and tells us to shut up, stick our views up our arse and worse (ring any bells? - no not you!) This I believe this a "misuse of opinion" . It is either repetitive unecessarily or "hammering it home".

But as I said - while Poch is still manager and, for some regardless whether he turns things around, the thread is still 'live' and I feel the examples of misuse or opinion will continue so that's why I replied to James saying, despite him hoping we can perhaps agree to differ, I think it is likely to continue. But as you say it's a Forum and that is the nature of the beast. As I said a week or so ago I was taking a backseat because i feel this issue is sucking the oxygen out of the room in terms of nothing much else can happen in terms of threads etc. and each day the same points are repeated. But it's probably me not the Forum.

If I understand this correctly this is a criticism of those that keep repeating the same opinion time and time again.

in my defence I am not sure I have ever said POCH should be sacked but I do expect him to walk when it suits him. I repeat similar views week in week out because the next game results and affairs within the club do not seem to improve.

I realise that my views are in the minority on the forum and have tried not to respond to totally over the top optimism but have failed.

Time to withdraw and just watch the.........debate??

6 minutes ago, Asc3 said:

If I understand this correctly this is a criticism of those that keep repeating the same opinion time and time again.

in my defence I am not sure I have ever said POCH should be sacked but I do expect him to walk when it suits him. I repeat similar views week in week out because the next game results and affairs within the club do not seem to improve.

I realise that my views are in the minority on the forum and have tried not to respond to totally over the top optimism but have failed.

Time to withdraw and just watch the.........debate??

For me, I feel it is the thread itself that is the cause of the repetitious posts. When we discuss a match, views are aired and shortly after it is another match where there may be similarities in opinions but it is a different scenario. The timeline is short with most threads so, having discussed it we move on to the next. Sadly, as the Poch post has remained open, there is nothing new to discuss except for if we win or don't which gives ammunition to one side or the other to reinforce their view. I would suggest should the debate be on putting this thread on hold until January 1st and then reigniting it.

COYS

7 hours ago, TC1000 said:

I thought it is a good thing to let the emotion out. It's better for our mental health given the poor season we have.

Where you and I differ is how we express our emotions. I think all of us who post on here feel very strongly  - especially  when we lose or things are going badly. There is nothing wrong with getting things off your chest and I agree it is better than bottling it up. Where I draw the line is 'slagging off' people, be it the manager, players or those with a different view who post on here. I feel we should simply give our own slant on it without hurling abuse.For me it is one thing expressing a thought as to how one feels or how they view the subject being discussed. However, for me it is wrong to get personal just because some has a different point of view or disagrees.

Just the opinion of an old git who has seen a lot of life and has 80 years experience. 

COYS

My opinion (if anyone cares) is that we should keep Poch and remove Eriksen, Toby, Rose (and possibly Jan) from the squad. I haven't given up on Poch yet, but players who won't sign new contracts or have expressed a wish to leave the club should be replaced in the squad immediately.

I do not blame Poch for the Everton, Liverpool and Leicester results - two appalling referee decisions and losing by the odd goal at Anfield is not enough to sack the manager. We should have another 5 points if you take this into account, putting us 5th. Also, a point at City and the Arse would not have been sniffed at. However, the Brighton, Newcastle and Watford performances were shocking. 

I am not saying Poch is blameless of course - my main gripes are his inability to make early changes when things are not going to plan and his persistence in playing Eriksen, when he has clearly been shit all year. 

So - for now it's keep Poch and dump the want-aways, although I reserve the right to change my mind between now and Christmas !

I respect your opinion and think your reasoning is sound. Whether Poch goes or stays, I find the posts for both sides presented contain compelling points and having read posts I have switched sides a couple of times. You know me well enough by now, I chop and change and also get splinters in my arse for sitting on the fence. 

Currently, because of these seasons results despite those bad luck moments you pointed out, I am reluctantly thinking we need a change of manager. I accept the unlucky breaks but can't condone the matches we were poor.

Watch this space. When we win the next 5 matches I shall be rewriting my posts!!!

COYS

20 hours ago, stanmac said:

The last time I cooked dinner for Dianne it was.....alphabet spaghetti on toast.

That's how she learned to spell her name.

But who told you how to spell it to teach her, Stan? There wasn't spell check around in those days.

COYS

6 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

My opinion (if anyone cares) is that we should keep Poch and remove Eriksen, Toby, Rose (and possibly Jan) from the squad. I haven't given up on Poch yet, but players who won't sign new contracts or have expressed a wish to leave the club should be replaced in the squad immediately.

I do not blame Poch for the Everton, Liverpool and Leicester results - two appalling referee decisions and losing by the odd goal at Anfield is not enough to sack the manager. We should have another 5 points if you take this into account, putting us 5th. Also, a point at City and the Arse would not have been sniffed at. However, the Brighton, Newcastle and Watford performances were shocking. 

I am not saying Poch is blameless of course - my main gripes are his inability to make early changes when things are not going to plan and his persistence in playing Eriksen, when he has clearly been shit all year. 

So - for now it's keep Poch and dump the want-aways, although I reserve the right to change my mind between now and Christmas !

I read somewhere recently, a THFC fan trying to defend Eriksen, with the fact that he is being played out of position (ie not in the middle ), but I can remember after a game last season, in the CL I believe, that Eriksen was actually asked if he had a preferential position, and he said " I don't mind, as long as I get the ball to play with..." (or similar) This may have been the game that he scored an important goal to win, or draw the match.  The Poch has obviously moved him to accommodate other players(new signings) in the middle.

So many armchair experts...
Fans that go to every game don’t necessarily know what they’re talking about, just like those that watch it at home.
Even fans that have played the game don’t always get it right. Nobody knows about the physical condition of the players better than The Poch, and he is the one that is responsible for how the team is set up. DL has completed the stadium project that will guarantee a massive steady sustainable income, and will be doing everything he can to make sure THFC have a team that will fill the stadium and win things. We as fans have to patient, and realise that every team goes through barren periods, we are not alone in this. The team under The Poch will come back stronger. Patience and vocal support needed, never mind plastic just stop being so fickle. THFC is not an embarrassment but fickle ignorant so called fans are. Get behind the team and inspire them like the bindippers do.

Watching the bindippers yesterday as I am sure most of us did...
Any body else feel that we performed a lot better than citeh did ?
We scored early and ended up losing to a dodgy penalty ?
Gazza made some great saves, and there were many other good individual performances. We were in the game right up to the pen decision. Citeh were never in the match. Any comments please, try and keep it football based, without using “shit” “plastic” and saying how long you have been a fan blah blah blah.... please respect my proud “happy clapper” admission.

I don't think it matters. Even if we had a better game than MC against Liverpool (measured by game stats, not our personal feelings), we can't draw any conclusion.

They still in top 4 with 25 pts. We are in bottom half of the table with 14 pts.

22 minutes ago, Tonto911 said:

Gazza made some great saves, and there were many other good individual performances. We were in the game right up to the pen decision. Citeh were never in the match. Any comments please, try and keep it football based, without using “shit” “plastic” and saying how long you have been a fan blah blah blah.... please respect my proud “happy clapper” admission.

I felt the score yesterday flattered Liverpool but I felt that way after our match with them too. Son's chance that hit the crossbar was better than all of Liverpool's chances and he buries that 7 out of 10 times.

I thought City had a fair call for a penalty on that handball. The angle they showed in the US had that ball going clear through to Sterling who would then have had an open shot at goal. Gotta think he at least hits the target from there and Brava is no Gazzaniga. *grin* Anyway, City gets a goal there and I think it's a different game.

I do think we did a better job of containing Liverpool though, but then City is missing their best defenders.

3 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

So many armchair experts...
Fans that go to every game don’t necessarily know what they’re talking about, just like those that watch it at home.
Even fans that have played the game don’t always get it right. Nobody knows about the physical condition of the players better than The Poch, and he is the one that is responsible for how the team is set up. DL has completed the stadium project that will guarantee a massive steady sustainable income, and will be doing everything he can to make sure THFC have a team that will fill the stadium and win things. We as fans have to patient, and realise that every team goes through barren periods, we are not alone in this. The team under The Poch will come back stronger. Patience and vocal support needed, never mind plastic just stop being so fickle. THFC is not an embarrassment but fickle ignorant so called fans are. Get behind the team and inspire them like the bindippers do.

I thought it is obvious that everyone using this forum are fans, not professional football managers with expert knowledge and insider information.

Poch and the players are the ones who get paid millions to do their job.

Fans who pay tickets and TV subscriptions to watch the team are ignorant and are the embarrassment?

I'm sure that is no connection that what we say or do actually cause the team to lose.

5 hours ago, TC1000 said:

I thought it is obvious that everyone using this forum are fans, not professional football managers with expert knowledge and insider information.

Poch and the players are the ones who get paid millions to do their job.

Fans who pay tickets and TV subscriptions to watch the team are ignorant and are the embarrassment?

I'm sure that is no connection that what we say or do actually cause the team to lose.

I should have added...

I admit to being an armchair expert, well settee actually, and also happy clapper - always ( not only) see the good things , even in defeat. Positivity keeps me sane.

i remember going on holiday a few weeks after we got relegated, and on my first day in Bude, I gotta tee shirt printed with “ THFC we’ll be back !” on it...

9 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

I actually predicted 4-0 Liverpool, the words I used to my brother in a heated debate and my step son were before the match it’s men against boys. Liverpool my most hated club look big strong athletic organised. I tipped them to win the league and champions league because klopp plays the same 11 most weeks. City us Utd the arse we haven’t a clue who are best 11 are. City look like a team that will finish 3 or 4 for me. Easy to beat without Laporte.