Neophyte

CL: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Bayern Munich

Tottenham v Bayern  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's your result?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

To make it worse we're still 29 points away from Premier League safety but seriously, I agree with a lot of the comments on here that man for man, the squad is good. We bought players in the summer who are sadly still not in the first team and there's no plan B tactically.

Take the CL semi last year...resorted to giving up on the pretty stuff, hit it up to the big man, got the goals and went through to the final...that was plan B when it was needed.

It's going to take a lot of soul searching to get this season back on track from Poch and the players now.

Gutted today.

7 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

Lets assess the game from 0-81/82 minutes? Agree we were to open, but so were Munich and it was us who could have been 3-1 up on around 35 minutes. Granted we started slow from the second-half kick-off and the 2 goals conceded were due to losing possession in dangerous areas. Individual mistakes! But even at 2-4 after the pen I thought we could get something from the game, then the 5th goal came whilst trying to do that and the final 7 minutes when Poch had no choice (imo) to throw caution to the wind I want to erase from my memory!

End of the day, we lost 3 points. What is important now is how we react to that, as players and as fans! Calling for Poch's head is madness!

You are right Royce - that's a balanced view given the emotion surrounding a result like last night's

7 hours ago, Alonso said:

I thought Ndombele was one of our best players today.  The two balls he put through were absolutely beautiful but we weren’t clinical and didn’t finish them. 

He is still struggling with the pace of the PL - he will get fitter and then I think we will have an awesome player

9 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

Is there hope? I think so! Tonight we went toe-to-toe with an inform Bayern and came unstuck, big time, but had it not been for Neuer we could have been at least 3-2 up at half-time. But we ended up conceding 7 (seven, they do this on the teleprinter on tv!!!) so why do I think we have hope!

Admittedly it is largely due to the other teams (not City/Liverpool) around us who are equally as poor right now and I accept Leicester are looking good, but the rest, us included are struggling to find form. The pickies who won't maintain their "reasonable" start, that leaves Bournmouth, Palace, and Sheffield Utd!!!

We sit 4 points behind City. I'll take that now for the final table at the end of the season!

So ok! All of the above a bit flippant, but I am baking my belief on Sessengnon, Lo Celso and N'Dombele once proper match fit, to energise the first 11, Dele and Lamela to continue to improve. KWP to return and oust Aurier, plus Davies and Sanchez, maybe Dier to deputies for Verts and Toby should they make it obvious they have eyes elsewhere. Then in January we recruit a ready made, ready to go centre half for 60m+ and side line (literally) Verts, Toby and Eriksen should they sign any pre-contract abroad.

Kane and Sonny look at it, so why can't we go again and have a season that sees us finish in the top 4 and playing attractive football. Poch ain't the kind to turn and run at the first sign of trouble and he won't. I think he will see this as much of a challenge as anything else that has been asked of him since arriving at The Lane.

We just don't sign players that can play, we sign characters. Granted some of those characters now want away after 6-7 years, but that can be viewed as being normal, infact it can be viewed as being very abnormal, as most players want away at other clubs after 2-3 years.

We bought well in the summer and the usual suspects (Utd, Chelsea, Woolwich) have their own problems this season too and it's these 2 things that convince me we will have, with 31 games to go, another productive season with Poch!

COYS!

I would like to agree but!!!!! Firstly this has been going on during the whole of 2019 and, if anything, rather than make progress in pulling out of this mess, we have been going backwards. Secondly, the drubbing we took last night, to me, means we are showing we are not learning and Poch has run out of ideas on how to fix it.

I am numb at the moment. It is like finding out your wife is having it off with someone else and you feel you can never trust her again. I am feeling I cannot trust Pock and the players to turn this around. To find yourself 1 - 4 down in home games is dreadful. To finish up losing 2 - 7 is a disaster. It is so rare for an EPL team to concede 7 goals in one game I can remember when it last happened. The pundits considered Spurs to be the 3rd best team at the start of the season not a favourite to be relegated. Last night's defeat could have enormous repercussions.

You know mw from old - I was very positive and always had faith. It is so difficult this year to maintain it. I am finding it easier to cope with the pain when I am not overly expectant.

COYS

1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

I would like to agree but!!!!! Firstly this has been going on during the whole of 2019 and, if anything, rather than make progress in pulling out of this mess, we have been going backwards. Secondly, the drubbing we took last night, to me, means we are showing we are not learning and Poch has run out of ideas on how to fix it.

I am numb at the moment. It is like finding out your wife is having it off with someone else and you feel you can never trust her again. I am feeling I cannot trust Pock and the players to turn this around. To find yourself 1 - 4 down in home games is dreadful. To finish up losing 2 - 7 is a disaster. It is so rare for an EPL team to concede 7 goals in one game I can remember when it last happened. The pundits considered Spurs to be the 3rd best team at the start of the season not a favourite to be relegated. Last night's defeat could have enormous repercussions.

You know mw from old - I was very positive and always had faith. It is so difficult this year to maintain it. I am finding it easier to cope with the pain when I am not overly expectant.

COYS

1 hour ago, Cromulentmart said:

He is still struggling with the pace of the PL - he will get fitter and then I think we will have an awesome player

Decisions. Decisions. We're losing. 4-1 Down. Surely, for morale, for fans and players a change of tactics is prudent. We're being beaten by pace and width. Hell. I'm no football manager but changing from a narrow formation with 2 up to a 4 1 4 1 , slightly deep  and hitting them on the counter is an option. If only to stop them scoring and hopefully snatch a goal or 2 to make the score line respectable. At lest live to fight another day. This is not Sunday league where it's gung-ho. Poch to blame. Players old and tired.

This result is just another sign that Spurs are in a mess.  For me, Eriksen, Jan & Toby either sign or don’t play anymore.  Simple.

we have Players committed to the Club for the positions and to be fair all 3 have struggled to say the least.  The fact that Poch continues to select them gives me the indication that Levy is not giving the players the deals they wanted and Poch sides with the players.  If I am Dier, Lucas, Lamela, or anybody else I’m thinking why aren’t I playing?  That’s going to affect the feeling in the dressing room and divide the squad.  The play suffers, heads drop and results follow.  I’m sure it could be a coincidence that 3 players central to our rise over the past four years have their situations as they are but I seriously doubt it.  So,  sign or don’t play and go with those committed to the badge.  The results can be no worse after all.

come on Poch fix this!!!

5 minutes ago, Alonso said:

This result is just another sign that Spurs are in a mess.  For me, Eriksen, Jan & Toby either sign or don’t play anymore.  Simple.

we have Players committed to the Club for the positions and to be fair all 3 have struggled to say the least.  The fact that Poch continues to select them gives me the indication that Levy is not giving the players the deals they wanted and Poch sides with the players.  If I am Dier, Lucas, Lamela, or anybody else I’m thinking why aren’t I playing?  That’s going to affect the feeling in the dressing room and divide the squad.  The play suffers, heads drop and results follow.  I’m sure it could be a coincidence that 3 players central to our rise over the past four years have their situations as they are but I seriously doubt it.  So,  sign or don’t play and go with those committed to the badge.  The results will be no worse after all.

Spot on Alonso - sign new contracts now or fuck off to the reserves.

Agreed, sign or play in the reserves. We'll have the disruption now or in January anyway so the team might as well try to build some form and confidence, at least before the FA Cup 3rd round to give us some kind of chance of that elusive silverware.

Still gutted but Saturday should answer a lot of questions one way or another.

Poch is not an idiot. He makes Eriksen into a scapegoat. We wouldn't break Villa break so Eriksen changed the game. However, Eriksen is not the answer to every problem. Just put him back to starting lineup or bring him off the bench whenever we run into trouble.

Why pick Eriksen to take the first PK? The answer is that Poch already see the possibility of an upset against a league two side and he knew that Eriksen is not good penalty taker.

If he miss, he can say that he put his trust in Eriksen but Eriksen is unsettled.

We already in losing position after the score is 1-2, Poch probably realize they are not going to beat Bayern before he put subs in.

To use the same excuse he have to keep putting the scapegoat Eriksen in the game.

TBH I have no sympathy for Eriksen. Eriksen choose this path when he reject the contact and other clubs' offers.

Now the fans and Poch is turning against him.

Jan is 32. You can't rely on him to play 2-3 games in 7-10 days.

We got Toby, Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga plus make shift CB Davies and Wanyama.

Poch had to make it work. That's why he is getting paid the big bucks.

7 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

COYS

I 100% understand James my friend and there is an awful stink coming from The Lane at the moment, but our poor start to the season with 31 games remaining sees us 4 points behind last years champions!

It ain't been great, but that is because Poch has produced and set playing standards and style so high since his arrival, that we expect so much more now and when we fall short it is a real shock to the system and that is a perverse/reverse compliment to Poch and his staff and players.

With that kind of track record and ability, and the 4 very good signings made in the Summer, I for one will keep the faith until game 15?, 18? and we are sitting 9th or 10th. Then if that's where we are at, I'll come on board!

COYS!

For me both systems/tactics were obvious. Pressing in the opponents half to force Bayern to make mistakes and that really worked for the first half, the only question for how long will it work? One mistake in the defense and Kimmich equalized and that was the breaking point. Bayern on the other hand let us play a high defensive line but 1. only to exhaust our players, 2. to overrun the centre backs in the counter attack and thats not difficult, with Tobey, but also with Verts in the defense. I rather see Sanchez in the back, who has more pace than Tobey. We may had lose, but not in that manner. Nothing but embarrassing!

As I once said, our team reminds me to Liverpool, before Klopp signed Matip and van Djik. Alderweird is our Lovren. You can't play a high defensiv line, when your defenders are lame as fuck. We have Sanchez, Foyth and Dier who is a learned CB, so why haven't we sold that lame prick and cashed in and for example signed Maguire instead who played championship in that time? Just asking. I'm convinced he would have chosen us over Leister, when we have given him a serious offer.

From the managers point of view, Poch to me is giving the 2 belgian playing time to hold them in the team in the hope they will sign a new contract. But why? As Alonso said, when they want to leave, let them illoyal assholes go and give others a try! I know its hard to trust the reserve, but if you are not able to sort out the defense and aren't signing new defenders you have to work with the players you have. 

One thing about the affair rumors, if its true, why is Verthongen starting and not Eriksen, when Verts is said to be the wag shagger? I more believe, Eriksen is a childish drama queen and Poch do want to sanction him, but at what price! Leave him or play him, but putting him in in the 64th minute is ridiculous. Let him leave for Real to knit socks on their bench and c'est la vie. Illoyal bastard! 

To Pochs formation: A diamond formation doesn't work against a 4231, cause there is no width!!! He should know that. Usually you learn this in the first lesson at the Hogwarts magician school. And too many offensive players spoil the porridge. It would have been better to interrupt the match and go home. A 3:0 would probably been better for the score!

A big mistake was to take off N'dombele. Poch probably wanted to protect Ndombe who was on a yellow card, but our midfield was not existent, when he left the pitch. There was no game changer on the pitch. And why the fuck was Dele playing? He did shit nothing. He is more exciting about his new bleached Veneer teeth than about doing his fucking job. He should have been sold to Atletico Madrid and count the crumbles they would give him for the fucking behavior he shows. He has not deserved to play. Lamela would have been more effective, I'm 100% sure.

Anyway, tomorow is a new day and tonight I will have a fine diner with my family. Its my mama's bithday

COYS

55 minutes ago, Spurfect said:

For me both systems/tactics were obvious. Pressing in the opponents half to force Bayern to make mistakes and that really worked for the first half, the only question for how long will it work? One mistake in the defense and Kimmich equalized and that was the breaking point. Bayern on the other hand let us play a high defensive line but 1. only to exhaust our players, 2. to overrun the centre backs in the counter attack and thats not difficult, with Tobey, but also with Verts in the defense. I rather see Sanchez in the back, who has more pace than Tobey. We may had lose, but not in that manner. Nothing but embarrassing!

As I once said, our team reminds me to Liverpool, before Klopp signed Matip and van Djik. Alderweird is our Lovren. You can't play a high defensiv line, when your defenders are lame as fuck. We have Sanchez, Foyth and Dier who is a learned CB, so why haven't we sold that lame prick and cashed in and for example signed Maguire instead who played championship in that time? Just asking. I'm convinced he would have chosen us over Leister, when we have given him a serious offer.

From the managers point of view, Poch to me is giving the 2 belgian playing time to hold them in the team in the hope they will sign a new contract. But why? As Alonso said, when they want to leave, let them illoyal assholes go and give others a try! I know its hard to trust the reserve, but if you are not able to sort out the defense and aren't signing new defenders you have to work with the players you have. 

One thing about the affair rumors, if its true, why is Verthongen starting and not Eriksen, when Verts is said to be the wag shagger? I more believe, Eriksen is a childish drama queen and Poch do want to sanction him, but at what price! Leave him or play him, but putting him in in the 64th minute is ridiculous. Let him leave for Real to knit socks on their bench and c'est la vie. Illoyal bastard! 

To Pochs formation: A diamond formation doesn't work against a 4231, cause there is no width!!! He should know that. Usually you learn this in the first lesson at the Hogwarts magician school. And too many offensive players spoil the porridge. It would have been better to interrupt the match and go home. A 3:0 would probably been better for the score!

A big mistake was to take off N'dombele. Poch probably wanted to protect Ndombe who was on a yellow card, but our midfield was not existent, when he left the pitch. There was no game changer on the pitch. And why the fuck was Dele playing? He did shit nothing. He is more exciting about his new bleached Veneer teeth than about doing his fucking job. He should have been sold to Atletico Madrid and count the crumbles they would give him for the fucking behavior he shows. He has not deserved to play. Lamela would have been more effective, I'm 100% sure.

Anyway, tomorow is a new day and tonight I will have a fine diner with my family. Its my mama's bithday

COYS

Enjoy your dinner. The Spurs Web says Happy Birthday Mrs Spurfect! 

Totally agree, Unless poch goes back to coach School  he's not going to learn about formations  hes only known the high press  but  plays old slow unfit clueless players I'm sorry makes up 80% of our team right now. I thought he thrived on fitness,  they lasted 35 mins ???enjoy your meal.

first off the ref was useless,  every time they went down they got a free kick and booked our guy, did any of their players get booked, Rose was fouled umpteen times, got nothing (except pen and then he wssnt booked ).  Bookings make defenders especially defend totally differently,  unless theyre Aurier of course!1 

But anyway 4-2 we went for it as may as well lose 7-2 going for a draw than lose 4-2 shutting up shop, so the last 8 minutes was just cos we were goijng for it and made silly errors at the back, but what annoys me the most is that Bayern were taking the piss at the end, and Gnabry especially should have been nobbled hard , and yes I mean ACH, or worse , Aurier should have gone straight thru him  and jumped up and spat at the cunt  as he lay there writhing in proper agony, good fuck off , giving it the big one today that north london is red, yeh well munich is a total dump and you fit in there perfectly you tramp .

So in the return league match i hope we leave it on them , at least show we gave a shit. I dont think Dyer or Skipp would have let all 11 players walk off the pitch at the end so comfortably 

We will still get thru this group, and win Saturday. but please get some heart, show you care , if you foul someone and get booked make it worth while not just a pathetic little flick, injure the bastard ffs 

52 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

first off the ref was useless,  every time they went down they got a free kick and booked our guy, did any of their players get booked, Rose was fouled umpteen times, got nothing (except pen and then he wssnt booked ).  Bookings make defenders especially defend totally differently,  unless theyre Aurier of course!1 

But anyway 4-2 we went for it as may as well lose 7-2 going for a draw than lose 4-2 shutting up shop, so the last 8 minutes was just cos we were goijng for it and made silly errors at the back, but what annoys me the most is that Bayern were taking the piss at the end, and Gnabry especially should have been nobbled hard , and yes I mean ACH, or worse , Aurier should have gone straight thru him  and jumped up and spat at the cunt  as he lay there writhing in proper agony, good fuck off , giving it the big one today that north london is red, yeh well munich is a total dump and you fit in there perfectly you tramp .

So in the return league match i hope we leave it on them , at least show we gave a shit. I dont think Dyer or Skipp would have let all 11 players walk off the pitch at the end so comfortably 

We will still get thru this group, and win Saturday. but please get some heart, show you care , if you foul someone and get booked make it worth while not just a pathetic little flick, injure the bastard ffs 

Have you been skipping those Anger Management classes I set up for you?

22 minutes ago, stanmac said:

Double up on your medication Audere.

Stan, I’m trying to help the guy - what’s doubling up on medications done for you apart from running out of them in half the time.

Each to their own, I say. But for me when a genuine top 4 team (Spurs) can collapse to the extent we did to concede 7 goals (5 in the 2nd half), there is a serious problem that needs urgent attention rather than excusing the result saying their is no need to panic. I was regarding this match as a barometer to judge how we were going to shape up against top teams. In my book we failed miserably and I would prefer an inquest rather than right it off as a one off. Last year a match coming up like the one this Saturday again s Brighton would have held no fear. This match is is now deemed a 'must win' one with no certainty it will be.

Last nights drubbing has worried me and my fears will remain until we return to winning several on the trot and including playing against some good opposition. As I said, each to their own, but I remain unconvinced that it can be simply ignored as a one off.

COYS