Jump to content
Spurs Web
Jamesinashby

Poch sacked

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I hope you are right, Gary. If you are I will be the first to congratulate you. I wasn't moaning, just expressing a cautious view. I have seen enough 'false dawns' in the last 3 decades (including Poch who fell at the last hurdle). Hence, while accepting his pedigree and feeling cautiously hopeful, I am not going overboard in welcoming him.

All that you said about his previous successes is true but is also history. He had limited success at Utd  with a couple of cups but didn't replicate winning the EPL or CL. I want him to be successful but I am not confident enough to predict it for the moment. At 80, I have learned to be less headstrong and more patient. 

COYS

James look at it this way mate

since 91 we have 2 trophies 

since poch came we have brilliant wins namely Ajax city Real Madrid Chelsea but no trophies still

in that time mourinho has won 20 major honours with his 5 clubs.

all I’m saying is we now have the best chance in over a decade to win silverware.

there will no doubt be ups and downs but I for 1 am going to back jose till it’s time not to back him and that’s not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spurfect said:

I don't know what to think of Mou. But one is for sure, the decision is time changing! 

I see the points Gary brings on the table, he was special, although I think, you can't compare what he has achieved in the past and what he represents today. His success is long gone, but he still has a name and thats positiv. I also think, we'll profit from his staff, all above the scouting. We can also profit from his experience with the clubs and players he was in charge of and is technically understanding, but for the thrill I hope he learned from his mistakes and have created new systems according to the last results we have seen from him in the Prem. But to be fair to him, Pogba was a pain in his ass! And that is what I meant, when I wrote the managers have less to say in modern football, cause its cheaper to sack a manager in contrast to players who cost the club a fortune. Whats next? A app were you can rate the managers? Ridiculous! 

All in all we should stay optimistic, but what annoys me is the fact, that he had never considered us in the past, but now his ego got a crack he comes along. Also, because it seems he will get money in his hands what Poch hasn't. We'll see. It will be a fight between the egos, I guess.

We can't change the circumstances and I won't compare Mou with his teacher pet AVB, cause I know Mou has all the abilities to put it straight. AVB is just a shmuck. I'll give him a chance and hope this is the turning point we need

 
All in all we should stay optimistic, but whatannoys me is the fact, that he had never considered us in the past, but now his ego got a crack he comes along. Also, because it seems he will get money in his hands whatPoch hasn't. We'll see. It will be a fight between the egos, I guess.
 
great post spurfect, in 2003/2004 I was serving time  at hollesly bay and I’ll remember this as clear as yesterday, Jose mourinho coming to Tottenham was the headline, I was ecstatic thinking that Porto manager with the heart of a football fan is coming to us, we know the rest roman stuck his millions in front of him and that was that in the same way we got shit on by Willian.
i have known deep in my heart for 3 months Jose was waiting patiently for poch to fail, he wants this Tottenham job as bad as he wanted the Utd job. He has something to prove and let’s not kid ourselves his reputation will be tarnished forever if he fails. I think we are about to see our club move forward. I believe more in Jose than I have any other manager in my lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jay Kane said:

Well well mourinho it is,gutted for poch,Gary has made some very good points,let's all get behind the new manager,he is a serial winner,but strap yourselves in its gona be a roller coaster,coys!!!

You know what jay I literally could be left open to cheap shots left right and centre but I honestly don’t give a fuck. If I’m wrong I’ll be devastated because in my lifetime this is the appointment I’ve been longing for.  I don’t want to be the “I told you so wanker” I just think right now we have the best man available for free to turn our fortunes around. 
we have to take everything into perspective and say levy has done what’s needed. Poch would not have turned this around, he lost the players a long time ago with his fucking ridiculous “if we win the champions league I’ll be off statement” who says that? 
I’m like a new man thanks to levy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Garyjones1271 said:

You know what jay I literally could be left open to cheap shots left right and centre but I honestly don’t give a fuck. If I’m wrong I’ll be devastated because in my lifetime this is the appointment I’ve been longing for.  I don’t want to be the “I told you so wanker” I just think right now we have the best man available for free to turn our fortunes around. 
we have to take everything into perspective and say levy has done what’s needed. Poch would not have turned this around, he lost the players a long time ago with his fucking ridiculous “if we win the champions league I’ll be off statement” who says that? 
I’m like a new man thanks to levy.

Your spurs through and through gary,imagine mourinho doing a famous run down the Wembley pitch if we beat Arsenal 2-1 in the fa cup final,boiling piss at its finest!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jay Kane said:

Your spurs through and through gary,imagine mourinho doing a famous run down the Wembley pitch if we beat Arsenal 2-1 in the fa cup final,boiling piss at its finest!!

Fuck me, I cried my eyes out in 91 watching Gascoigne tear the arse apart. What a picture mourinho replicating his Porto run. I’m fucking buzzing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mou may bring trophies - to start. He may bring success - to start. He has done so in the past and it would be foolish to not think it at least possible here. Spurs certainly have the talent currently.

It obviously won't be a League title with how the table stands and we are out of the Carabou Cup. That leaves the FA Cup and the Champions League. Can he still get it done at the highest levels?

I hope he wins here. I hope he fills the trophy room to overflowing and forces Levy to build a bigger room.

My fear is that even if he wins there will be little joy in it. Little excitement. Jose is the definition of pragmatic and while there were times I wanted Poch to figure out how to be a bit more pragmatic, I never wanted it from the opening whistle. I choose this club, not for silverware, but for the ethos. The motto To Dare Is To Do spoke to me. I came to this sport and this team later in life than those of you in England and when I found it I was going through some difficult changes. Forced changes, that my conservative nature was rebelling against. In Spurs I found a club daring to do, recognizing that going for it was important and that while failure was possible it wasn't permanent. I found a club embracing the motto that I needed.

It gave me hope.

Had I wanted to jump on the silverware bandwagon I would have chosen Man U or Chelsea or Arsenal to support. Had I wanted to be one of the popular kids in the US I would have gone with Liverpool or Chelsea again. Don't get me wrong, I want silverware but I don't want it at all costs. If it means giving up that Tottenham spirit that first spoke to me then the cost is too high. If it means giving up the class this club has consistently shown in the decade I have supported them, then I don't want it.

Mou has been a great coach, a successful coach. My issue is that he hasn't been a great man while he has done it. He comes off as bigger than the club. He is arrogant and dismissive. He appears to be fixed at a point in time on the pitch and unable to adapt to the massive changes taking place in the game today. Yes, he has a boatload of trophies but each day those get further and further behind him. More recently he has been better at spending money and running a circus. He had resources at Man U that we Spurs supporters can only dream of and the best he could do was a Europa League trophy. While it is silverware, I will take last seasons Champions League experience over a Europa League trophy every day.

If he manages to hold it together here, win, show class on the touchline and in his press conferences, and play a more Spurs-like brand of footie, I will eat my words and happily. I just don't believe he can do all that for long because I don't believe he can change. And I fear he will change my Spurs into something unrecognizable from the club I love.

#joseout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he manages to hold it together here, win, show class on the touchline and in his press conferences, and play a more Spurs-like brand of footie, I will eat my words and happily. I justdon't believe he can do all that for long because I don't believe he can change. And I fear he will change my Spurs into something unrecognizable from the club I love

 

am I missing something?? Has Jose been in a lunatic asylum? Hold what together exactly?

spurs brand of footie you mean like poch by playing negative risky passing around the back going nowhere football?  With no real threat going forward and no pace? Is that the same football you don’t want jose to play? Pick a game any game in the last 30 and give me 90 mins or even 70 minutes of high pressure football when we dominated a team. A game where we were on the edge of our seat lavishing praise on the team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Garyjones1271 said:

If he manages to hold it together here, win, show class on the touchline and in his press conferences, and play a more Spurs-like brand of footie, I will eat my words and happily. I justdon't believe he can do all that for long because I don't believe he can change. And I fear he will change my Spurs into something unrecognizable from the club I love

 

am I missing something?? Has Jose been in a lunatic asylum? Hold what together exactly?

spurs brand of footie you mean like poch by playing negative risky passing around the back going nowhere football?  With no real threat going forward and no pace? Is that the same football you don’t want jose to play? Pick a game any game in the last 30 and give me 90 mins or even 70 minutes of high pressure football when we dominated a team. A game where we were on the edge of our seat lavishing praise on the team?

Maybe Neophyte is referring to games before the slump..... We all recognise that things haven't been right since the CL final, we all also realise that our dip in PL form dropped the further we got in the CL ... We also all recognise that we were taken into regular top4 and CL qualification by The Poch playing wonderful football, and getting results. For that he DOES deserve credit and respect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
4 minutes ago, Garyjones1271 said:

am I missing something?? Has Jose been in a lunatic asylum? Hold what together exactly?

Yeah, I think you are missing something.

You keep talking about the Mou who won at Porto and Inter. That man hasn't coached in the PL in over a decade. His last PL title came with a Chelsea team that underperformed so bad the year before that it wasn't even playing in Europe, and as soon as they won the PL they stopped working for him. At Man U, he spent as much time blaming the players, often guys he brought in, for not performing and blaming management for not buying him more players then he did trying to fix the issues on the pitch.

Honestly, I expect him to be more successful here immediately than Poch has been this season. It is the nature of football at this level to get a bounce from a new manager, whether it's an off-season switch or an in-season switch. I expect Spurs to climb the table. Quickly. Hell, he might even get something out of Eriksen.

The problem won't be immediate.

It will be this time next year if we don't spend like Liverpool, Man U, and Man City in the summer. Hell, it might in the spring if we don't treat the Winter window like a Summer window.

And no, the football hasn't always been free-flowing over the last little while under Poch. If you had been around more a month you would have been part of discussions about that very thing. However, there have been good matches in the last 30 with some beautiful football. Both matches with Dortmund, our CL matches with Man City, our PL match Liverpool at Anfield last year and the Palace match this year all come immediately to mind. But no, since Christmas the footie has been suspect. That still isn't the majority of Poch's career at Spurs though. Far from it. It does represent the bulk of Mou's career though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Neophyte said:

Mou may bring trophies - to start. He may bring success - to start. He has done so in the past and it would be foolish to not think it at least possible here. Spurs certainly have the talent currently.

It obviously won't be a League title with how the table stands and we are out of the Carabou Cup. That leaves the FA Cup and the Champions League. Can he still get it done at the highest levels?

I hope he wins here. I hope he fills the trophy room to overflowing and forces Levy to build a bigger room.

My fear is that even if he wins there will be little joy in it. Little excitement. Jose is the definition of pragmatic and while there were times I wanted Poch to figure out how to be a bit more pragmatic, I never wanted it from the opening whistle. I choose this club, not for silverware, but for the ethos. The motto To Dare Is To Do spoke to me. I came to this sport and this team later in life than those of you in England and when I found it I was going through some difficult changes. Forced changes, that my conservative nature was rebelling against. In Spurs I found a club daring to do, recognizing that going for it was important and that while failure was possible it wasn't permanent. I found a club embracing the motto that I needed.

It gave me hope.

Had I wanted to jump on the silverware bandwagon I would have chosen Man U or Chelsea or Arsenal to support. Had I wanted to be one of the popular kids in the US I would have gone with Liverpool or Chelsea again. Don't get me wrong, I want silverware but I don't want it at all costs. If it means giving up that Tottenham spirit that first spoke to me then the cost is too high. If it means giving up the class this club has consistently shown in the decade I have supported them, then I don't want it.

Mou has been a great coach, a successful coach. My issue is that he hasn't been a great man while he has done it. He comes off as bigger than the club. He is arrogant and dismissive. He appears to be fixed at a point in time on the pitch and unable to adapt to the massive changes taking place in the game today. Yes, he has a boatload of trophies but each day those get further and further behind him. More recently he has been better at spending money and running a circus. He had resources at Man U that we Spurs supporters can only dream of and the best he could do was a Europa League trophy. While it is silverware, I will take last seasons Champions League experience over a Europa League trophy every day.

If he manages to hold it together here, win, show class on the touchline and in his press conferences, and play a more Spurs-like brand of footie, I will eat my words and happily. I just don't believe he can do all that for long because I don't believe he can change. And I fear he will change my Spurs into something unrecognizable from the club I love.

#joseout

Hopefully Neophyte,

M will have been made aware by DL that he has do it the 'right' way.

Maybe M will realise that he has another chance to change people's current opinion of him.

Maybe he can get Dele and Eriksen back into being the best that we have already seen from them.

Maybe our defence will become difficult to breach, and protect any lead that we get.

Maybe our new stadium will become a fortress again, and instead of it raising the opposition's performances, the atmosphere will frighten any visitors into submission.

Don't forget we had a terrible record against M's chavs, we rarely got a look in......

Maybe the next two games will send all of us a message as to the likelihood of all these other 'maybes' coming true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Garyjones1271 said:

James look at it this way mate

since 91 we have 2 trophies 

since poch came we have brilliant wins namely Ajax city Real Madrid Chelsea but no trophies still

in that time mourinho has won 20 major honours with his 5 clubs.

all I’m saying is we now have the best chance in over a decade to win silverware.

there will no doubt be ups and downs but I for 1 am going to back jose till it’s time not to back him and that’s not now.

He's good at winning cups and if he could get us some silverware I shall be more than happy  with that.

COYZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the change has happened sooner than I thought, I honestly thought poch did a damn good job of it all considering a lot of things,wembley,lack of funds , difficulties in getting rid of the dung in the team etc etc. the divorce although, was inevitable, whether it was poch or the team to blame I don't know and you know what,. I now really do not care. that book is now closed, thanks poch, farewell poch, if you mr pochetino want to drown in your own misery, fine, do it on your own but thankfully your not going to ruin our club with you.  now, not so much new chapter, but a whole new book gets started as mr Mourinho takes the helm, our success I think will depend on siphoning any blue rent boy blood outa him [man u couldn't] hit the restart button ,make him believe this is by far the best football club in the world. because it is! I do hope and pray our season gets back on track and we can start getting back up that table, who knows but things have gotto change for the better.  by the way when toby was informed last night after his international I could of swore I saw him trying his best to hid a grin. whats the betting on when we play Bayern away on 11th dec, poch wont be Bayern munich manager. should be a fun kinda night... anyway onwards and upwards New Book. COYS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm optimistic with the appointment of Mourinho. I believe that it takes an outsider to fix our problems because Poch is stuck in a unhappy state and he never get his head around to the problems. 

Football is a high pressure environment. Mourinho had over 11 months of "rest" to prepare for his next job. He is fresh and ready to work. That's more than enough time to think through the successes and failures he had. He never left PL so he is up-to-date with everything from rule changes to our opponents.

Let get us back on track first this season before talking about trophies.

He may able to sort out the players' contract issue or at least minimize this distraction.

Players like KWP, Wanyama, Lucas are out of the doghouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, coleraine spurs said:

the change has happened sooner than I thought, I honestly thought poch did a damn good job of it all considering a lot of things,wembley,lack of funds , difficulties in getting rid of the dung in the team etc etc. the divorce although, was inevitable, whether it was poch or the team to blame I don't know and you know what,. I now really do not care. that book is now closed, thanks poch, farewell poch, if you mr pochetino want to drown in your own misery, fine, do it on your own but thankfully your not going to ruin our club with you.  now, not so much new chapter, but a whole new book gets started as mr Mourinho takes the helm, our success I think will depend on siphoning any blue rent boy blood outa him [man u couldn't] hit the restart button ,make him believe this is by far the best football club in the world. because it is! I do hope and pray our season gets back on track and we can start getting back up that table, who knows but things have gotto change for the better.  by the way when toby was informed last night after his international I could of swore I saw him trying his best to hid a grin. whats the betting on when we play Bayern away on 11th dec, poch wont be Bayern munich manager. should be a fun kinda night... anyway onwards and upwards New Book. COYS.

I just watched his first interview and I am 48 with goosebumps. He speaks so clearly and he will get his way over to the players immediately. I believe we are going places. Hold onto your hats boys we are about to make the next step. My love for Tottenham is back tenfold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't and don't believe (Gazza) any Spurs fan has nothing but praise, admiration and thanks to Mauricio Pochettino and his back room staff for what they accomplished over their first 4 season tenure under financial restraint and the ground debacle, we played some of the best football I have seen any Spurs side play. I saw players wanting to play for the shirt/manager. A manager who had a great media profile. A manager who conducted himself with a lot of class and dignity and instilled the same in his players. A manager who encouraged and developed the likes of Harry Winks/Kane. Improved senior players like Danny Rose. Gave us the best defensive and goal scoring records in a PL season, 2?

So why did it all start to fade! Because DL/Enic sucked him dry and let him down! All of the above and when he had shown the amazing results he was producing, I can see it now, DL/JL would be sitting on JL's billion£ yacht rubbing their hands together because they could not believe what they were getting for their dollar and they became greedy and wanted more of the same to prove to the rest of the PL that they could continue to qualify (always just good enough for these money men) for CL without needing to commit financially like the others on the pitch and it's this egotistical meanness and I'll add their loss of focus regards the playing side of things, due to DL's obsession with the new ground. All of this is what broke Poch imo. He needed their backing (2017/18 season) and they failed him!

This for me is the reason why we saw what we saw yesterday!

Mauricio Pochettino will always have my respect for what he achieved (I know no silverware) at THFC. It was nothing short of amazing!

We now move on with Mourinho and I have to say, under the circumstances, I think DL got it right for the short-term fix needed at our club. What happens 2.5 seasons from now is anyone's guess. It could be euphoric or very scary! But one thing I know for sure, this forum will be alight!!

COYS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TC1000 said:

I'm optimistic with the appointment of Mourinho. I believe that it takes an outsider to fix our problems because Poch is stuck in a unhappy state and he never get his head around to the problems. 

Football is a high pressure environment. Mourinho had over 11 months of "rest" to prepare for his next job. He is fresh and ready to work. That's more than enough time to think through the successes and failures he had. He never left PL so he is up-to-date with everything from rule changes to our opponents.

Let get us back on track first this season before talking about trophies.

He may able to sort out the players' contract issue or at least minimize this distraction.

Players like KWP, Wanyama, Lucas are out of the doghouse.

Totally agree mate. I’ve never commented so much in 1 day.  I am so so happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was my point a long time ago I don't think poch could get anything across to players unless it was in Spanish,same for his coaching staff.

At least Mourinho can speak clear English and communicate with some of the other players as he speaks a few languages he can also bang on on Levi door explain you have to spend to win  and improve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we really need is a 24 year old Dembele again. I can see now, that central to Pochettino’s football ethos was this type of player. Because he hardly ever lost the ball; it instilled a confidence in our back four. They knew, just feed the ‘mousse’, he’ll shield the ball spin and we’re moving forward. Spurs’s fortunes have nose dived since he left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Salopspur said:

What we really need is a 24 year old Dembele again. I can see now, that central to Pochettino’s football ethos was this type of player. Because he hardly ever lost the ball; it instilled a confidence in our back four. They knew, just feed the ‘mousse’, he’ll shield the ball spin and we’re moving forward. Spurs’s fortunes have nose dived since he left.

See I don’t agree, he bought ndombele as a straight replacement for moussa but I think we should of gone a different way. Winks and sissoko are both very average but they can do that job of ball retention and carrying, it’s the final third where we have struggled for way to long, it worked so well for moussa because he had firstly dier then wanyama doing the dirty work, a fit in form Eric dier of 2 seasons ago would be perfect right now then instead of ndombele we should of bought pulisic for 10 million cheaper or even better coutinho should of been our marquee signing. Jose likes dier so don’t be surprised to see him back soon regularly.  With winks as the ball carrier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone here please explain me how levy did not help pochetino? Ffs, we spent 60m for dembele and 50m for lo celso, another 20m for sessegnon! More than 100m this summer. We played better withour spendings. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary, I’m just trying to fathom how poor we’ve become defensively. Obviously aging has had an effect on the back four but I just feel Dembele made them look better than they were.

I’ve detested our football for the last year, apart from the Dortmund game, and because of the lack of pace wide and up front, we are the easiest side to defend against in the league. Mourinho is in and I’m hoping for the best but in the end the game’s played by the players. I’m not sure this lot are good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Salopspur said:

Gary, I’m just trying to fathom how poor we’ve become defensively. Obviously aging has had an effect on the back four but I just feel Dembele made them look better than they were.

I’ve detested our football for the last year, apart from the Dortmund game, and because of the lack of pace wide and up front, we are the easiest side to defend against in the league. Mourinho is in and I’m hoping for the best but in the end the game’s played by the players. I’m not sure this lot are good enough.

Good point about the players but when I analyse our situation especially defensive this is my conclusion. Toby and jan have been dreadful but there still both at an age where they have at least 1-2 good seasons left. Sessegnon is a definite starter for me at left back and right back has to be foyth or mourinho may well convert sissoko as he offers little in midfield. I see dier being immediately back in front of the back 4. I have a feeling this will be the team 

Gazzaniga 

sissoko or foyth

toby

jan

sessegnon or rose

dier

winks

ndombele

alli

son 

kane

 

like you ive also cringed at watching us play this shit negative slow football, Jose will hopefully get us defending set pieces better. And defending better in general. I think he will look to son for pace till January then I see a big signing maybe Kingsley Coman. We certainly can’t be any worse than the last 25 games can we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×