Spurs Web
Borodin

The Dier Problem ....

Recently on Twitter Dier posted comments regarding critics who he believes have targeted him for his poor performances when, in reality, he feels his side have been struggling as a whole.

He said : “I have been happy with my level for the majority of the season. There has been a dip in it which correlates with the team in general and the performances in general. I always say I am a big boy. This is a ruthless profession. I focus on doing the best I can, every time I get an opportunity, I always try to be the best version of myself in training, try to improve constantly and then in games, I know I can have good games and bad games but I am always relaxed because I always give everything I have.Everything on the outside does not affect me because I am confident in myself and confident that I always try to give the best of myself. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it goes bad but my effort never changes.”

So far this season, the £22.5m rated defender has featured in 21 Premier League games for Spurs, over which he has made an average of 0.8 tackles, 0.9 interceptions, 4.8 clearances and has won three aerial duels per fixture, culminating in an average Who Scored match rating of 6.71– ranking him as Tottenham’s ninth best performer in the top flight.

Personally I think the lad has struggled for a few seasons and failed to find the consistency required of a top quality defender. I wouldn't mind seeing the club let him go.

So how did the fans respond ? Here are some comments :

“Seriously he’s been dreadful.” / “He’s kidding himself. I don’t think he’s a CB, he doesn’t have the natural awareness.”“This guy’s satisfaction with complacency and his entitled attitude to a starting spot in a team has served consistently poorly for three seasons are a major concern and he should be moved on without hesitation in the summer.”“He’s a complete liability at centre half, guilty of ball watching too often, and then when caught out makes rash decisions. I would like to see stats for the past couple of seasons for penalties given away and who are the worst offenders.”“Happy with his level of performance? Wow. A player who’s shifted blame all season. Tried to blame the Antonio goal that his incompetent defending caused last week on a young Japhet Tanganga. Take some responsibility, Eric. That attitude is worse than your performance levels.”“Take some responsibility man.”“Get rid of this deluded clown.”

Hardly inspiring words of confidence and a strong indication that he would not be missed.

Article Link : https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/02/blogs/premier-league/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur-fans-react-to-eric-diers-comments/

What do you think of him as a Spurs player ?

Everyone knows my opinion on this hes a headless chicken unfortunately, I don't doubt that hes spurs through n through but that's just not good enough when your ability drops, no consistency our of position and you are liability at the back.

He was always bench midfield utility player, just like winks and Sissoko,  if we want to step up a level the sort of players we need to get rid.

They're not like-for-like world-class quality.

Dier needs to be shipped out.

I would never question his desire, nor his commitment to Spurs.  He does come across as casual at times and yes, he makes mistakes.  The issue is his mistakes result in goals conceded.  To be a top CB you need consistency above all else so until he gets those mistakes out of his game he can't be in the starting 11.  Watching Sanchez this past week (whom also is prone to glaring mistakes that result in goals conceded)  made me wonder if it's actually Dier that was the real problem.  

I like Eric, and I did feel he could be very good in a defensive Midfielder role as he was played by Pochettino.  I was a big fan of the slide tackles he made after tracking back for large distances.  He is very good at that.  Mourinho has not helped him get better and that may be because he was/is a favourite.  That would factor in anyone's self assessment.  My biggest problem with Dier was he fails to blame himself for his mistakes but looks to find someone else to blame.

In summary, on his day he can be fantastic but those days just don't come around nearly enough.

It's an enigma. 

At his best he is very good, that said, he too often is the one who blame is attached to with some of the goals conceded. He is not alone as the same can be said of Sanchez. 

We have been having a poor run and it makes me wonder if those 2 weren't so accident prone would we be sitting comfortably in 2nd or 3rd if they had been more like Van Dijk. 

The more I see posts on here about these 2 the more I think I may have been too harsh blaming JM. 

COYS 

He certainly seems to love the club and want to give 110%, he just seems to be a tweener. Between this and that, not really a holding midfielder, not really a CB, not really great at either. He's a nice player to have around as long as you aren't relying on him too much.

Eric misses out on the Euros, dropped by Southgate and he'll struggle to get back in from now on.

Time for the club to also consider this guy's future. I'd sell this transfer window without haggling too strongly if an offer is made.

Time to say goodbye....

I think it was the right choice for England, and I think we should sell him. 

He might have on many occasions with blocks, tackles and headers stopped a goal being scored, but that is his job. I give him full praise for that. However, what's the point when he is prone to mistakes that too often lead to conceding goals to be considered world class in my opinion. 

Sorry for you Eric, but you have had the opportunity to prove you are a top man, but have fallen short. 

COYS