Spurs Web
Borodin

Harsh Dose Of Reality Needed...

Obviously as supporters we want nothing more than to win every game, we approach each match with hope and enthusiasm, always convinced that this will be the turning point for us and success is just around the corner. Time after time we are disillusioned and disappointed by lacklustre performances that shatter our dreams and bring us crashing down to earth.

Could the real heart of the problem be that we expect too much from the squad we have ? Do we fool ourselves every week that we are better than we actually are and therefore the results will always be below our expectations ?

Let's all look at things in the harsh cold light of reality. In Kane we have an absolute diamond and without his commitment and skills then the team would be mid table. Our defence is non existent which for a Mourinho side is unheard of. Tangana, Sanchez, Doherty, Dier and Winks do not belong in any Premier side. Midfield Hojbjerg and Ndombele impress but Lo Celso and Reguilon are unreliable and prone to mistakes. Vinicius is just baggage and Bale is a luxury we cannot afford who is using this club simply to support his International status.

To be genuinely challenging for titles and trophies there is much work to be done and unless those areas of concern are seen to be addressed this Summer then we shall be saying goodbye to at least Kane and Son next transfer window.

We are currently in 5th position and to be brutally honest I think we are lucky to be even there, let alone aspiring to be top four. We have 90 minutes against City in which to amaze the footballing world and lift the Carabao Cup but it would be nothing short of miraculous to actually do so.

Time to pull off the blinkers and see the squad for what it really is, a top half Premier side but nothing more unless massive investment is made regarding incoming defensive players and harsh but necessary culling done to rid ourselves of the 'dead wood'.

Today's result against Newcastle was about right for the overall effort from both sides and I certainly do not deny Steve Bruce's side their point. Maybe it's time to wake up and accept just how good (or poor) we really are rather than blame it on below par performances. If we do not recognise these weaknesses and react to them then we shall simply continue to make excuses and hide away from what is really happening.

You have just articulated very well what I have been posting on here for a couple of months or more. Every time I urged caution with all the optimism that was posted on here it was usually met with posts implying I was being too pessimistic. 

I stick to my opinion that in this season, with only City standing out, this squad and the purchases in the summer should at least put us there competing for a top 4 finish. We've struggled to simply be on the fringe and always been in the position it needed our rivals to fail if we were to finish higher than 6th.

We have been carrying players who are unreliable in defence, but when you analyse the the teams Mourhino has started with and his substitutions, not all the blame lies with the players. One example, how many times has Sanchez started with Toby on the bench? Also, look at his starting XIs. Always several changes and playing individuals in different positions. Is it any wonder that too often they never blended as a team? Again, for me, not all the blame can be put on the players. 

This season, at best, we have been a top 10 ten team hoping to make the top 6.

For me this has been obvious once we slipped out of top place. I can sit here and hope and pray for a miracle (as I have for the last 4 months) but there is no sense in thinking that - for me, there was never a time, even if we won, I ever felt confidence that Mourinho would find a way to get the best out of this squad. 

COYS 

For me, the lack of any reliable central defenders apart from Toby, whose best football is behind him, means we are always likely to concede cheap goals or succumb to individual errors. When we are ahead we can’t defend, when we are behind we sometimes rouse ourselves, but there is no security or confidence anywhere because we are so poor at center and fullback outside of Reguilon and the rest of Toby. 

If they want to restore confidence that this is a top 4 side they need to buy two top class CBs at a minimum. Anything else shows a continued commitment to the results we’ve become accustomed to - which are losing games we should win and often snatching draws from the jaws of victory

On 4/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, Borodin said:

Obviously as supporters we want nothing more than to win every game, we approach each match with hope and enthusiasm, always convinced that this will be the turning point for us and success is just around the corner. Time after time we are disillusioned and disappointed by lacklustre performances that shatter our dreams and bring us crashing down to earth.

Could the real heart of the problem be that we expect too much from the squad we have ? Do we fool ourselves every week that we are better than we actually are and therefore the results will always be below our expectations ?

Let's all look at things in the harsh cold light of reality. In Kane we have an absolute diamond and without his commitment and skills then the team would be mid table. Our defence is non existent which for a Mourinho side is unheard of. Tangana, Sanchez, Doherty, Dier and Winks do not belong in any Premier side. Midfield Hojbjerg and Ndombele impress but Lo Celso and Reguilon are unreliable and prone to mistakes. Vinicius is just baggage and Bale is a luxury we cannot afford who is using this club simply to support his International status.

To be genuinely challenging for titles and trophies there is much work to be done and unless those areas of concern are seen to be addressed this Summer then we shall be saying goodbye to at least Kane and Son next transfer window.

We are currently in 5th position and to be brutally honest I think we are lucky to be even there, let alone aspiring to be top four. We have 90 minutes against City in which to amaze the footballing world and lift the Carabao Cup but it would be nothing short of miraculous to actually do so.

Time to pull off the blinkers and see the squad for what it really is, a top half Premier side but nothing more unless massive investment is made regarding incoming defensive players and harsh but necessary culling done to rid ourselves of the 'dead wood'.

Today's result against Newcastle was about right for the overall effort from both sides and I certainly do not deny Steve Bruce's side their point. Maybe it's time to wake up and accept just how good (or poor) we really are rather than blame it on below par performances. If we do not recognise these weaknesses and react to them then we shall simply continue to make excuses and hide away from what is really happening.

Totally agree we flattered to deceive get into the Champions League final, they never built a squad to patch up all the holes that were coming. As you said the defensive been falling apart for years and hasn't really been rebuilt Rodon  I think was a good signing but it's going to take time for him to bed in.

I still think the worst thing is we never bought striker like Fernandes at  Man United that could compete with kane not just play alongside him off the bench, we also have no creative flair from midfield, Ericsson on his day could completely switch again and we've got no one in the team that can really do that now.

We've got a slap out all the championship rubbish, get skippy back that we've got on our team and get at least four or 5 world class players