Spurs Web
Jamesinashby

European Super league

Apparently 12 top European clubs including the top 6 from the EPL want to set up this elite league. 

Legally it will be difficult to push through plus bans on players from those clubs playing in European and International competitions may not appeal to the best players in the world. So it may well never happen. 

However, if it did and Spurs joined, I will stop supporting them. I am not interested in only watching the same 11 teams with most of them likely to have better squads than ours. 

What do others think about being in a super league idea? 

Borodin Edit

@Jamesinashby As we are an integral part of this new league I felt it only right that the topic should now be moved to Spurs news mate. It is possibly the most important bit of news about our club for many a year. Thanks for starting the thread.

Seeing his reaction, it encourages me that the fans will stop it happening.

The fans of these clubs will make it clear they will stop supporting them nor watch them on TV. Without a fan base, no club can survive. 

Deep down, I am more than a tad ashamed that THFC has had it's name tarnished by being part of this. I think it is time that DL left as he is showing no thought to the fans - only greed and looking after the wealth of the share holders. 

COYS 

SPURS SUPPORTERS: FUTURE OF OUR CLUB IS AT STAKE

Tottenham's Supporters' Trust say they are "deeply concerned" by reports linking the club to European Super League plans and revealed a 2019 poll found only 3% of Spurs fans disagreed with their opposition of the idea.

A statement on Sunday read: “The Board of Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust is deeply concerned by rapidly escalating reports linking Tottenham Hotspur Football Club with a breakaway European Super League: a concept driven by avarice and self-interest at the expense of the intrinsic values of the game we hold so dear.

“Along with fan groups at Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea, we wholeheartedly oppose the move to create a closed shop for Europe’s elite.

“In our 2019 Survey, 81% of the 4,302 Spurs fans polled supported THST’s position against any closed European Super League, with only 3% disagreeing. 

“We call on ENIC, the temporary custodians of our great Club, to distance themselves from any rebel group and to consider the implications fully before making decisions that will fundamentally change the course of history for Tottenham Hotspur forever.

"The future of our Club is at stake

8 minutes ago, Borodin said:

I’m speechless pal,what the f**k are they doing??????

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I’m speechless pal,what the f**k are they doing??????

Money, pure and simple. That's why Daniel has held back the naming rights deal. He knew the price would rocket if the club became part of a Super League. How can we be considered part of such an elite group with our history of success ?. That's why we have such a 'super' stadium, Levy knew the debt for it could be paid off when this happened. I feel cheated and conned, as should any Spurs supporter.

What is the proposed format?

The league will have 20 teams - the 12 founding members plus the three unnamed clubs they expect to join soon and five sides who qualify annually according to their domestic achievements.

It will start in August, with midweek fixtures, and the clubs will be split into two groups of 10, who play each other home and away.

The top three in each group qualify for the quarter-finals, with the teams in fourth and fifth playing a two-legged play-off for the two remaining spots.

From then, on it will have the same two-leg knockout format used in the Champions League before a single-leg final in May at neutral venue.

Official website just launched :

https://thesuperleague.com/

As a moderator I think it is only fair that we consider both sides of the coin. This is a post from someone on another website giving a different perspective.

So much hypocrisy. Uefa, Sky sports and the premier league seriously trying to take the moral high-ground? They're just bitter because they're the ones losing out after years of profiting. Same with all these 'champion of the people' pundits like Neville and Lineker etc - the irony of them getting paid seven figure salaries to preach on a channel that charges fans a huge premium every month is staggering. Even politicians jumping in because it's the popular thing to do, when they've had countless years to intervene with football economics & corruption if they really cared.

As for the fans, it feels like an over-reaction. "Football is finished" "I'll never watch again". Of course you will, stop lying to yourselves. Football has been all about money for years. Look at the current champions league semi finalists and say that the competition is so much fairer and inclusive right now.

You absolutely cannot blame the club for this (unless it turns out they instigated it, which I find incredibly unlikely). Presented with the option of being part of Europe's elite or being stuck on a sinking ship, saying yes was the only logical decision. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Levy and want him gone, this isn't one of them. As a businessman, he would have been sacked on the spot for turning this down, as it would have been financial suicide. He's been offered permanent access to Europe's top competition, plus a truck load of money and a way to boost the club's profile even further.

What's really bizarre is that this has been suggested countless times before, even very recently. And so at this stage I think there's every chance it still won't even happen. The timing of it with UEFA's CL announcement being due soon suggests it could well be a bargaining chip to come to a "compromise" that favours the big teams but ultimately keeps the status quo.

As for those saying we'll get stuffed every match, I doubt it. When Jose is gone and we're playing attacking football again, we have a decent team. Especially if we actually get some money to invest. We could definitely make top 4 in the 10 team group if the likes of Porto and Arsenal are in it.

We were invited because we're one of the most valuable teams in the world, some of the best facilities in the world, and a rich European history - not just in the long-term, but literally making a CL final a couple of seasons ago.

I'm not at all saying this is great, but I just think all the people saying it's literally the end of the club are over-reacting. There's a very good chance it won't happen, and I can't see the premier league actually kicking out the 6 teams that make it all of its money. They have to take a strong stance, and it may well work, but if their bluff is called they would suffer the most.

I know a lot of people will disagree with most of this, but I think we have to see how this plays out first before giving up on the club.

6 hours ago, Borodin said:

As a moderator I think it is only fair that we consider both sides of the coin. This is a post from someone on another website giving a different perspective.

So much hypocrisy. Uefa, Sky sports and the premier league seriously trying to take the moral high-ground? They're just bitter because they're the ones losing out after years of profiting. Same with all these 'champion of the people' pundits like Neville and Lineker etc - the irony of them getting paid seven figure salaries to preach on a channel that charges fans a huge premium every month is staggering. Even politicians jumping in because it's the popular thing to do, when they've had countless years to intervene with football economics & corruption if they really cared.

As for the fans, it feels like an over-reaction. "Football is finished" "I'll never watch again". Of course you will, stop lying to yourselves. Football has been all about money for years. Look at the current champions league semi finalists and say that the competition is so much fairer and inclusive right now.

You absolutely cannot blame the club for this (unless it turns out they instigated it, which I find incredibly unlikely). Presented with the option of being part of Europe's elite or being stuck on a sinking ship, saying yes was the only logical decision. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Levy and want him gone, this isn't one of them. As a businessman, he would have been sacked on the spot for turning this down, as it would have been financial suicide. He's been offered permanent access to Europe's top competition, plus a truck load of money and a way to boost the club's profile even further.

What's really bizarre is that this has been suggested countless times before, even very recently. And so at this stage I think there's every chance it still won't even happen. The timing of it with UEFA's CL announcement being due soon suggests it could well be a bargaining chip to come to a "compromise" that favours the big teams but ultimately keeps the status quo.

As for those saying we'll get stuffed every match, I doubt it. When Jose is gone and we're playing attacking football again, we have a decent team. Especially if we actually get some money to invest. We could definitely make top 4 in the 10 team group if the likes of Porto and Arsenal are in it.

We were invited because we're one of the most valuable teams in the world, some of the best facilities in the world, and a rich European history - not just in the long-term, but literally making a CL final a couple of seasons ago.

I'm not at all saying this is great, but I just think all the people saying it's literally the end of the club are over-reacting. There's a very good chance it won't happen, and I can't see the premier league actually kicking out the 6 teams that make it all of its money. They have to take a strong stance, and it may well work, but if their bluff is called they would suffer the most.

I know a lot of people will disagree with most of this, but I think we have to see how this plays out first before giving up on the club.

I agree with this view, in so far as, it’s better to part of this break away than be left with the other lesser pack.

this has been in the making for a long while and no doubt that massive expenditure on our new stadium, the documentary, dare I say it, the appointment of Mourinho. All to raise our profile, as let’s face it out of all the teams in the league so far, we have been the least successful by a country mile.

but to be chosen and to be competing against the best and being able to attract the best players in the world vs the opposite, I know what I would choose.

1 hour ago, Sumsio said:

I agree with this view, in so far as, it’s better to part of this break away than be left with the other lesser pack.

this has been in the making for a long while and no doubt that massive expenditure on our new stadium, the documentary, dare I say it, the appointment of Mourinho. All to raise our profile, as let’s face it out of all the teams in the league so far, we have been the least successful by a country mile.

but to be chosen and to be competing against the best and being able to attract the best players in the world vs the opposite, I know what I would choose.

There's no doubt the naming rights price will now be a huge figure. It just signals the end of football as I have known it. I will have little interest in this proposed Superleague, especially if it's at the cost of the smaller clubs.

Just seems like the fat cats getting fatter to me. The next few days will be very interesting indeed.

I can see why Levy could feel Spurs have to be part of this, rather than be left outside looking in at the pack of other huge clubs who’ve signed up to it. 

I don’t agree with the whole thing at all, but if this does happen then you can see how it would cripple Spurs completely if we weren’t in it.

The single worst idea of the new plan is the closed book approach to the Super League, that’s just ridiculous. It may work in US Sports like NFL and NBA (where new franchises change occasionally) but that’s not right for European football.

This just looks like greedy owners hell bent on making more money and crucially limiting their losses, via the solidarity payments! 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Watch Gary nevilles rant on sky sports,absolutely brillant and spot on..

I laughed when he said “Spurs? I don’t care about Spurs!” or something similar.

11 hours ago, Borodin said:

SPURS SUPPORTERS: FUTURE OF OUR CLUB IS AT STAKE

Tottenham's Supporters' Trust say they are "deeply concerned" by reports linking the club to European Super League plans and revealed a 2019 poll found only 3% of Spurs fans disagreed with their opposition of the idea.

A statement on Sunday read: “The Board of Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust is deeply concerned by rapidly escalating reports linking Tottenham Hotspur Football Club with a breakaway European Super League: a concept driven by avarice and self-interest at the expense of the intrinsic values of the game we hold so dear.

“Along with fan groups at Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea, we wholeheartedly oppose the move to create a closed shop for Europe’s elite.

“In our 2019 Survey, 81% of the 4,302 Spurs fans polled supported THST’s position against any closed European Super League, with only 3% disagreeing. 

“We call on ENIC, the temporary custodians of our great Club, to distance themselves from any rebel group and to consider the implications fully before making decisions that will fundamentally change the course of history for Tottenham Hotspur forever.

"The future of our Club is at stake

As I said, the fans could be the key to stop this happening. 

If it becomes evident to the TV companies that show the matches that viewing figures drop dramatically, those who advertise will either demand  huge reductions in what they pay or will not advertise. It possibly may not be the cash cow they think it will be. 

The clubs (hopefully) will see a massive reduction in the numbers going through the turnstiles and the amount of kit being sold will fall away. 

The danger for them is this new idea of not bringing in extra cash to those rich clubs and it could crash. That said, the Covidiots selfishly ignored the sensible path. Something similar could happen here. It may attract a massive following from fans of the 12 clubs. Also, some fans of other clubs plus those who don't follow a club may watch and those from different countries around the world may well want it to come into being. 

The more I think about it, the more I worry. If it goes ahead, as sad as it makes me, I will give up following football. I am already irked by VAR decisions and all the cheating that goes on on the pitch. I hate the unfairness of the rich clubs winning everything and pinching the best players from the lesser teams. We have produced some of the best players in the world only to see them pinched by other clubs which is why we haven't won things. The greed of the players and their agents have made it too expensive for millions of fans to follow the game through he turnstiles. It no longer is a local club filled with local players - the richer clubs rarely have a local lad in the team. We have Harry. In the EPL the vast majority of the clubs squad aren't even English. 

Oh well - Que serra, serra. I shan't rush into a decision, but if I achieve my ambition to reach 100, it wouldn't surprise me if during that time I kick football into touch. No pun intended. 

COYS 

I really don't understand why are you so upset. We were not participating to any european competition anyway :) So this could be a big bonus for us. 

And sorry to say it so straight but UEFA is full of corruption, fixed draw, fixed betting stories. I am not saying the new competition would not be the same, just do not believe that UEFA is such a beautiful organization, cos it is not. 

I don’t see how this super league will ever happen, the clubs will be like pariahs and it’s a bit of a joke that we would be in it when we can’t even win the worthless cup in our own league. 

I understand that levy doesn’t want to be on the outside looking in but could these corporate wankers of all clubs involved not see how it would be blocked? Now just more ridicule and shame for tottenham to be part of it. 

capitalism, it’s a crooked system rife with corruption and backhanders. the rich get richer and the poor masses are left to fend for themselves. Wankers!

2 minutes ago, Dazza1976 said:

I don’t see how this super league will ever happen, the clubs will be like pariahs and it’s a bit of a joke that we would be in it when we can’t even win the worthless cup in our own league. 

I understand that levy doesn’t want to be on the outside looking in but could these corporate wankers of all clubs involved not see how it would be blocked? Now just more ridicule and shame for tottenham to be part of it. 

capitalism, it’s a crooked system rife with corruption and backhanders. the rich get richer and the poor masses are left to fend for themselves. Wankers!

This is no longer just a pipe dream. The clubs have all committed to it happening and the website is created https://thesuperleague.com/

Some big names have declared themselves part of the set up and it's hard to believe they have not given full consideration to all the possible legalities of making such a decision. Could the FA afford to kick their six richest clubs out of the Premier league ? Are today's top players more concerned about earning mega bucks during their relatively short playing career or playing in World Cups, FA Cups and Internationals ?. The game is totally about greed and the people at the top of the pyramid grow ever hungrier.

Personally I am against the proposal but as a Spurs supporter you have to ask yourself one big question. If this Super League goes ahead and proves to be of massive financial benefit to the clubs involved how would the fans have reacted if they later found out Daniel Levy had refused an invitation to be one of the Big 6 UK teams ??

So whilst I cannot approve of where football is heading with this I also struggle to completely condemn the club for it's decision to be part of it. I will however seriously question whether I can continue to class myself as a Tottenham Supporter in the future.

I'm not sure how this Super League will work. Does it mean Spurs will leave the EPL? Is it just 12 teams playing each other, say 4 times - 2 at home and 2 away. Having to travel to another country every other game for away matches? 

Or does it mean they stay in their Premier league and drop out of Cup competitions and playing only in the their league plus their own 12 team Cup competition? 

I can't see Fifa Uefa and the FA agreeing to letting them stay in their Premier League plus run their own Super League. 

If the Super League is a league outside of the footballing world, I can't see it working. 

Another thought. Have the players in these clubs been consulted? What happens if the players currently with these clubs don't want to switch to the Super League? It will almost certainly mean the internationals will never be able to play in the European and World Cups. Would Harry, for instance give up playing for England? Would future players want to join a super league club? 

When will this new League start - next season or the one after? 

There are an awful lot of obstacles to overcome and I think any proposals to start a new rival league outside of the current set up would fail. 

It might only be a slender hope, but there seems to be a chance it will not happen. 

COYS 

It looks like it’s happening,I mean if Everton or wolves or even Celtic or rangers were offered a seat at Europe’s top table would they take it with the money being thrown around,you bet your sweet ass they would.