Spurs Web

Morning all

There seems to be a few posts that have raised issues/concerns with members which say are bordering against the simple forum rules.Myself and especially the  mods are working  hard to promote the forum and attract new members.I am old school and swearing is my language, but on here please respect other members and guests who have in the past reported content said on here.Many thanks Hastings 

https://www.spurs-web.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6952-forum-rules/

1 hour ago, Hastingsyid said:

Morning all

There seems to be a few posts that have raised issues/concerns with members which say are bordering against the simple forum rules.Myself and especially the  mods are working  hard to promote the forum and attract new members.I am old school and swearing is my language, but on here please respect other members and guests who have in the past reported content said on here.Many thanks Hastings 

https://www.spurs-web.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6952-forum-rules/

If you are 'old school' then I definitely am at my age :cc:. The odd swear word is only to be expected when members are being passionate about their opinions regarding this football club and perfectly acceptable. The main concerns seem to be when posts are simply littered with profanities and promoting violence without making any real contribution to the thread topic debate.

We are slowly beginning to attract new people to the forum and it most certainly helps if potential members can drop in as guests and see that we offer perhaps a different approach to the majority of other sites by allowing people a voice without them being subject to a tirade of swearing or personal insults from others.

I fully appreciate at the end of the day we are a group of football supporters who all enjoy a good argument about what's best for our team and feel strongly about things, swearing to a certain degree is part and parcel of such discussions. It's simply a question of 'moderating' things down to a level which does not deter others to join us.

Everyone's co-operation regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated.

:2074087892_yid1:

I like to say what I think and I have always considered a bit of 'anglo-saxon' to be acceptable in most walks of life. I am not one to be offended by anything writes about me here - it's only words on a screen, so why would I? 

I also worry about people 'taking offence'  - what's wrong with being offended occasionally? It's part of life.

I understand that this forum does not belong to me and it is up to you mods to determine what is "offensive"

I am too old and too set in my ways to change, so I shall carry on in my own sweet way, until someone tells me that my contribution is no longer welcome. 

Just now, Cromulentmart said:

I like to say what I think and I have always considered a bit of 'anglo-saxon' to be acceptable in most walks of life. I am not one to be offended by anything writes about me here - it's only words on a screen, so why would I? 

I also worry about people 'taking offence'  - what's wrong with being offended occasionally? It's part of life.

I understand that this forum does not belong to me and it is up to you mods to determine what is "offensive"

I am too old and too set in my ways to change, so I shall carry on in my own sweet way, until someone tells me that my contribution is no longer welcome. 

Nice reply and your point of view is totally appreciated. As in all society there are people who like to be more vociferous than others when giving their opinions and views on matters in here. The problem with someone being 'offended' is that the people subjected to such treatment then disappear until the membership is whittled down once again to a basic core and this place returns to the tumble weed version it used to be.

It would be better if people didn't feel intimidated when wanting to post an alternative viewpoint on a subject and were encouraged to enter into a sensible debate on the subject rather than just be told they were talking "f****ng bol***ks". You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the word contribution. That is what keeps a forum's blood circulating, posts that give something positive to the subject matter and act as a catalyst for replies rather than deter a response.

Long may you continue to contribute Crom :thumb:

Ok generally everything is great on here ,,,but emotions do run high ( with a couple of beers ) ,,most persons that use the forum have a very good sense of humour that some of our new members from other countries might not get ,,,which is understandable,,,but never to much malice or hate ,,,in a hate way ,,,,,,I will hold my hands up for being a tit ,,,but I am not perfect 

5 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

Ok generally everything is great on here ,,,but emotions do run high ( with a couple of beers ) ,,most persons that use the forum have a very good sense of humour that some of our new members from other countries might not get ,,,which is understandable,,,but never to much malice or hate ,,,in a hate way ,,,,,,I will hold my hands up for being a tit ,,,but I am not perfect 

Nicely said mate. None of us are or claim to be perfect (except my wife :dd:) but if we can all be a little more tolerant and appreciative of others then as you say the place can continue to thrive and hopefully grow. :thumb:

On 5/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, Mr8ball said:

Don't worry, M8. 

As you grow older the rough edges wear away and you slowly become perfect. 

Look at me, the perfect example of an old fart who is now perfect. 

LOL

COYS 

1 minute ago, Jamesinashby said:

Don't worry, M8. 

As you grow older the rough edges wear away and you slowly become perfect. 

Look at me, the perfect example of an old fart who is now perfect. 

LOL

COYS 

I do not know if this is the right forum to address this, so please move it if necessary

I am a new member so I happen to visit the news page quite often. One observation I have which I find very irritating is, if you talking about a player in a post, you always seem to use Mr. Levy's portrait as the header, even though the article is not about him. I think it will add a bit more credibility the forum if you use a picture of the person that is topic of conversation. Just my opinion

Post Edit by Borodin :

@Hastingsyid

Can you help Bulletspur out here please mate ?

2 hours ago, Bulletspur said:

I do not know if this is the right forum to address this, so please move it if necessary

I am a new member so I happen to visit the news page quite often. One observation I have which I find very irritating is, if you talking about a player in a post, you always seem to use Mr. Levy's portrait as the header, even though the article is not about him. I think it will add a bit more credibility the forum if you use a picture of the person that is topic of conversation. Just my opinion

I'm sorry to appear confused but I really don't understand what you mean. Where do you continually keep seeing Mr Levy's portrait as a header ?? Which particular section/thread are you referring to when you say "News Page". ???

54 minutes ago, Borodin said:

I'm sorry to appear confused but I really don't understand what you mean. Where do you continually keep seeing Mr Levy's portrait as a header ?? Which particular section/thread are you referring to when you say "News Page". ???

Mate I think that’s on the spurs web home page dude ,,,which I think and don’t know whether that’s to do with the forum mate 

57 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Am I right in thinking the forum is a separate entity from the official web site even though we are the same ???

3 hours ago, Bulletspur said:

Mate I will most probably get a slap for this cos I am not a mod ,,,but the web site is run by different persons dude I think ,,sorry if I am wrong all 

I think that Neil is the top guy in the forum backed by Hastings. 

As for Moderators, they are nothing to do with the actual technical side in running the forum nor make the rules. The 2 afore mentioned lay down the rules and run the technical side. 

The Moderators are here to raise threads if the forum becomes too quiet and to introduce threads for discussion, and to check on the tone of the threads and to step in if anyone goes beyond the limits of the rules. 

Sadly, in my case, this sodding Long Covid has reduced the amount of time I would normally spend on looking in. If it continues to keep worsening, than the forum could be looking for a replacement Moderator. 

COYS 

On 8/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, Jamesinashby said:

I think that Neil is the top guy in the forum backed by Hastings. 

As for Moderators, they are nothing to do with the actual technical side in running the forum nor make the rules. The 2 afore mentioned lay down the rules and run the technical side. 

The Moderators are here to raise threads if the forum becomes too quiet and to introduce threads for discussion, and to check on the tone of the threads and to step in if anyone goes beyond the limits of the rules. 

Sadly, in my case, this sodding Long Covid has reduced the amount of time I would normally spend on looking in. If it continues to keep worsening, than the forum could be looking for a replacement Moderator. 

COYS 

That's really not great news mate! I don't know that much about Long Covid other than it is truly debilitating and I sincerely hope you can recover sooner rather than later - all the best and fingers crossed.

I've started to realise lately that I'm becoming a little 'too' involved in thread subject matter in here and voicing my personal opinions on topics that are best left to being discussed by members. As a moderator I consider it my responsibility to post up thread topics for discussion to try and maintain activity levels and to also monitor postings to ensure they are compliant with what few rules we attempt to work within. In future I will not become personally involved in differences of viewpoints with the forum members.

I apologise for doing this and from now on intend to take much more of a back seat by simply creating threads for discussion and keeping a watchful eye. In other words 'argue amongst yourselves' :dd:

6 hours ago, Borodin said:

I've started to realise lately that I'm becoming a little 'too' involved in thread subject matter in here and voicing my personal opinions on topics that are best left to being discussed by members. As a moderator I consider it my responsibility to post up thread topics for discussion to try and maintain activity levels and to also monitor postings to ensure they are compliant with what few rules we attempt to work within. In future I will not become personally involved in differences of viewpoints with the forum members.

I apologise for doing this and from now on intend to take much more of a back seat by simply creating threads for discussion and keeping a watchful eye. In other words 'argue amongst yourselves' :dd:

I still see it that you are a Spurs Supporter and quite entitled to have your say - if you care - you cannot help but get involved - I'm a heart on sleeve type myself - the piece about Kane and Levy was spot on - carry on MacDuff I say!.

10 hours ago, Borodin said:

Silly boy !

Your posts are one of the main reasons I use this forum, so don't stop!

I used to get involved a bit too much sometimes, but now I do find myself thinking "Oh no, I'm not getting into that one" when I see some of the posts. If we all agreed about everything, this would be a very boring forum !!

22 minutes ago, Cromulentmart said:

Silly boy !

Your posts are one of the main reasons I use this forum, so don't stop!

I used to get involved a bit too much sometimes, but now I do find myself thinking "Oh no, I'm not getting into that one" when I see some of the posts. If we all agreed about everything, this would be a very boring forum !!

Thanks for that Crom it's very much appreciated. I just felt that maybe I was overstepping the Moderator boundaries a bit but if nobody minds me also expressing my opinion in here then fair enough. I do love a good debate and as you quite rightly say it's what keeps the forum going. :thumb:

On 8/3/2021 at 10:26 AM, Borodin said:

Yes I was referring to the New Page. Currently

"Manager admits Spurs expressed interest in Star a few days before deadline"     Instead of putting a picture of the star there is s picture of Levy

"Aston Villa beat Spurs to striker by offering lucrative...."   Again instead of putting a picture of the striker in question there is a picture of Levy

"Spurs very close to reaching new contract  deal with first-team star"   And again instead of putting a picture of the star, there is a picture of Levy.

And if you go back will see quite a few other examples.

Nothing to do with Levy but the news is presented like this, it actually puts me off from actually reading, where I am sure there are others.

Hope this explains what I was trying to say in my initial post

Regards

9 minutes ago, Bulletspur said:

"Manager admits Spurs expressed interest in Star a few days before deadline"     Instead of putting a picture of the star there is s picture of Levy

"Aston Villa beat Spurs to striker by offering lucrative...."   Again instead of putting a picture of the striker in question there is a picture of Levy

"Spurs very close to reaching new contract  deal with first-team star"   And again instead of putting a picture of the star, there is a picture of Levy.

Nothing to do with Levy but the news is presented like this, it actually puts me off from actually reading, where I am sure there are others.

Regards

Sorry no I am still baffled. I just do not understand what you mean by 'New Page'. Are all of those headlines started by the same member ?? is it their avatar you are looking at ??

Give me a section (like Transfer Talk) where you are seeing these posts please or a thread title like 'Llorente Is A Free Agent'

27 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Sorry no I am still baffled. I just do not understand what you mean by 'New Page'. Are all of those headlines started by the same member ?? is it their avatar you are looking at ??

Give me a section (like Transfer Talk) where you are seeing these posts please or a thread title like 'Llorente Is A Free Agent'

It might be the home page stuff ,,that you and the other mods don’t do fella nothing to do with our little forum 

44 minutes ago, Bulletspur said:

Regards

M8 that’s the spurs web stuff dude I think that’s separate from the forum dude