Jump to content
Spurs Web
Craig Truespur

Europa Conference League not such a bad thing?

Recommended Posts

Just seen the trophy and it looks really nice and sexy I think it looks fancier than the Champions League so just saying when were the first team to ever win it it's going to have some sort of presidents on everyone else.

Ok it might be a little step down from the Audi Cup but we need something in that cabinet don't we:1579412966_emo1:

It would be a crime not to have any European football at our wonderful Stadium and give some of us a chance to get a ticket

Let's face it it's a good way of the new manager to be blood in the youngsters and any new players or should I say all the new players will be getting. Also another way levy  he can get decent TV rights money for the games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just read up all about this competition. Wow! We real have sunk to a low level. 

The idea is to give more clubs a taste of European football, particularly sides from countries that struggle to qualify for the other 2 EUFA competitions. 

Fixtures will be played on Thursdays. 

There are 3 qualifying rounds and then a play off round which the English team enters - a 2 legged affair on Aug 19th and 26th along with the 8 group leaders. Then there are the other rounds. 

If the English team reaches the final, it will have played 15 or 17 games!! 

For me, there are 2 ways of looking at this. We were considered to be one of the the top 6 teams which is a tad embarrassing we were one of the minnows to qualify for this competition. If we don't get to the semis at least, that too is embarrassing for a club of our stature. The other way is if we win it we will be the 1st winner to win it. 

Do we really need all these extra games on Thursdays when we are fighting to recover and regain top 6 status?  We daren't really risk first team players in case of injuries and tiredness from too many games,  so apart from giving bench players and academy players a run out, is there any real advantage to be got from this? 

What are the views, of you guys? 

COYS 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you are the first to achieve something that can never ever be taken away from you. Records are broken and new ones set but being the "first ever" is something that stays in the history books.

I'm not exactly enamoured at being in this competition, and would naturally have preferred to see us battling it out in the Champions League, but it it what it is and we have to accept that. I would be even more disappointed if we failed to win this third tier European trophy and were unable to claim to be the first ever holders of this cup. It will also mark the 50th anniversary of Tottenham being the first ever winners of the Uefa Cup back in 1972.

I would have settled for a domestic season only and it will be interesting to see how Arsenal fare having only the Premier league and home trophies to concentrate on.

For the moment everything hinges on two vital questions that need answering as soon as possible.... who is the next manager and will Kane stay ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Borodin said:

When you are the first to achieve something that can never ever be taken away from you. Records are broken and new ones set but being the "first ever" is something that stays in the history books.

I'm not exactly enamoured at being in this competition, and would naturally have preferred to see us battling it out in the Champions League, but it it what it is and we have to accept that. I would be even more disappointed if we failed to win this third tier European trophy and were unable to claim to be the first ever holders of this cup. It will also mark the 50th anniversary of Tottenham being the first ever winners of the Uefa Cup back in 1972.

I would have settled for a domestic season only and it will be interesting to see how Arsenal fare having only the Premier league and home trophies to concentrate on.

For the moment everything hinges on two vital questions that need answering as soon as possible.... who is the next manager and will Kane stay ?

You talk a lot of sense their mate and this boring kit that they brought out it's supposed to reminisce from the old days which is sort of does but didn't show much imagination for me but if we win it in a lily white shirt it'll be something to remember. 

As we said I think we should just play the kids the second team and we can use it to bring players back from any injuries and new players getting fitness levels up.

To be fair are we actually good enough to be in the Champions League or even Europa yet.

We are where we are we just have to make the most of it and I think if a new manager comes in and knows what he's doing like Ten hag hopefully and intelligent manager we use it as a platform to grow.

 we get to see some football on Thursdays again that used to destroy my gym night but was quite interesting  chatting into all my Spurs buddies on here like yourself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This competition is more pathetic than the Carabao cup .Waste of a thursday night sunday pm fixture schedule

If we had lost to Leicester it would have been arse and chelsea playing in this trash 

Worse possible match for Spurs to have won on Sunday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

This competition is more pathetic than the Carabao cup .Waste of a thursday night sunday pm fixture schedule

If we had lost to Leicester it would have been arse and chelsea playing in this trash 

Worse possible match for Spurs to have won on Sunday

I agree with you mate but there's no getting out of it. I'd just rather us be the first club to lift the trophy, especially as the year marks us winning the first ever UEFA Cup 50 years ago as well, rather than have everyone taking the mickey that we were knocked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Europa is Mickey Mouse. This abomination is Donald Duck. I can’t see any value in being in this joke competition as domestic cups give you plenty of options to bleed the youngsters. Plus all it does is F up your schedule....Thursday -sundays suck imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, USSpurs said:

If Europa is Mickey Mouse. This abomination is Donald Duck. I can’t see any value in being in this joke competition as domestic cups give you plenty of options to bleed the youngsters. Plus all it does is F up your schedule....Thursday -sundays suck imo 

More like Pepe Le Pew :dd:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the object of a club of our stature (albeit not a top European club), is to play against top European clubs.

It won't exactly be a 'must watch' game against a minor team we have ever ever heard of. At least when we play a team like Colchester, it is a team we know and none of us want us to lose to a team from the lower level division even if we are chuffed we got them and not a top 6 team. 

Apart from being the first English club to win this trophy, in our current precarious situation, I don't see any benefit being in this competition this season. To get to the semi final and lose means we have played around 15 unnecessary games added to our season. Also there are all the long flights to away games losing time when we could have been on the training ground preparing for our next league game. 

We have the League Cup and FA Cup to search for trophies 

But we are in it, so let's get on with it and win. 

COYS 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

But we are in it, so let's get on with it and win. 

COYS 

 

 

Exactly mate. Last thing we want is to lose in this Mickey Mouse event and not bring the cup home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

yeh the shit ones from the league stage third placers 

So we need to make a stand, beat these buggers and take the trophy back to London. The first team to ever win it. As the song goes "Oh no they can't take that away from me" :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Borodin said:

So we need to make a stand, beat these buggers and take the trophy back to London. The first team to ever win it. As the song goes "Oh no they can't take that away from me" :thumb:

or be top 3 in EPL all season , id prefer that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Audere Est Facere said:

or be top 3 in EPL all season , id prefer that 

We have qualified for a third tier embarrassment of a European Football Competition by finishing 7th in the league. That is bad enough, but to get knocked out of something like that and not actually win it would be much, much worse. Let's just accept it for what it is, win the bloody thing then give it back next year (nicely kept and polished) never for it to adorn our trophy cabinet again.

:thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

If we had beaten Leeds and villa we would have been fourth simple 

There is the biggest word in the alphabet my friend "IF"

Spare a thought for the Arsenal fan who posted on the internet a list of 12 matches that took place this season (we were one of them) with the caption "If we had won all of these games we would have won the league". Now that is one sad supporter :dd:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Borodin said:

There is the biggest word in the alphabet my friend "IF"

Spare a thought for the Arsenal fan who posted on the internet a list of 12 matches that took place this season (we were one of them) with the caption "If we had won all of these games we would have won the league". Now that is one sad supporter :dd:

wreckon levy told Perry Mason to play the Dead wood in a shop window,

we might have won the games if ndembele played more, like Dele made to play so we could try and get his value up for sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Mr8ball said:

If we had beaten Leeds and villa we would have been fourth simple 

And those ' wonderful' draws with Palace and a then poor Chelsea when we were top and playing well that so excited some numpties on here cost us a lot too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×