Spurs Web
Borodin

Who Will Be The Next Manager ?

We were better under Pochetino but far away than having big club mentality. Should be fine to come back but not now, he needs more experience, 1 year at PSG wont change him too much. Let's not forget how bad we played in the last year under him. 

1 hour ago, Mihai said:

We were better under Pochetino but far away than having big club mentality. Should be fine to come back but not now, he needs more experience, 1 year at PSG wont change him too much. Let's not forget how bad we played in the last year under him. 

Yes a huge drop off in the last year but the squad should have been refreshed way before that.

Of all the candidates we’ve been linked with or who might be available, who do you want? 

17 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

Yes a huge drop off in the last year but the squad should have been refreshed way before that.

Of all the candidates we’ve been linked with or who might be available, who do you want? 

I can't say because as @Audere Est Facere quite rightly points out I keep changing my mind. :dd:.

My big fear with a Poch return is just what do we expect from the guy. Are we to settle back,  enjoy entertaining football with regular but unsuccessful CL appearances and be satisfied with just that or do we have ambitions as a club to lift silverware of some sorts ? Poch was never too keen on the domestic cups remember and played them down whenever interviewed. In January of 2019 he said :

“We are going to create a debate that to win a trophy is going to help the club,” he said. “I don’t agree with that. That only builds your ego. In reality the most important thing is being consistently in the top four and playing in the Champions League.

Link : https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/27/mauricio-pochettino-spurs-focus-top-four-not-cups

So the big question is just what are our (meaning Levy's) expectations ?. I'm sure he'd love to return to the financially lucrative seasons of a constant top four finish but is that where his ambitions stop or is he willing to bankroll a genuine title challenge under Poch's guidance ?

We definitely need a rescue programme for our current situation but if in three years time we found ourselves still without a trophy and, to put it bluntly, treading water whilst watching Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd steal all the limelight could we honestly consider that a success story ??

11 hours ago, Borodin said:

I can't say because as @Audere Est Facere quite rightly points out I keep changing my mind. :dd:.

My big fear with a Poch return is just what do we expect from the guy. Are we to settle back,  enjoy entertaining football with regular but unsuccessful CL appearances and be satisfied with just that or do we have ambitions as a club to lift silverware of some sorts ? Poch was never too keen on the domestic cups remember and played them down whenever interviewed. In January of 2019 he said :

“We are going to create a debate that to win a trophy is going to help the club,” he said. “I don’t agree with that. That only builds your ego. In reality the most important thing is being consistently in the top four and playing in the Champions League.

Link : https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/27/mauricio-pochettino-spurs-focus-top-four-not-cups

So the big question is just what are our (meaning Levy's) expectations ?. I'm sure he'd love to return to the financially lucrative seasons of a constant top four finish but is that where his ambitions stop or is he willing to bankroll a genuine title challenge under Poch's guidance ?

We definitely need a rescue programme for our current situation but if in three years time we found ourselves still without a trophy and, to put it bluntly, treading water whilst watching Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd steal all the limelight could we honestly consider that a success story ??

I hear you sir.

Poch did take us to the final of the Carabao cup in 2015 (or 2014? I forget!) and I think there was an FA Cup semi too. But yes, we definitely did prioritise league and Euro performance over domestic cups, which almost worked out. 

As Mihai has just said, you can definitely see us needing sustained CL income now to recover from the crap years of Jose and the pandemic. Some stability would also be good, help wash away the negativity surrounding the club.

However, I’d like to think that we’re just a few shrewd signings off being competitive in all comps next season. With better defenders and/or better tactics (ie. Poch style aggression, pressing and higher % possession rather than Jose park the bus) we’d have surely claimed 10-12 more points in the league and so been fighting for 2nd this season. 

Cant quite recall who Poch had in the squad when he left, but I’d say that Reguillon, Hojbjerg, NDombele, LoCelso and Bergwijn (now they are all fully integrated at Spurs and the Prem League) are upgrades on what we had before.  Add in Skipp, Rodon and maybe Sess/Foyth (plus Bale?) plus a few of the youth and surely the squad is stronger now than what Poch had before?

I can certainly see him getting us playing well, with a good spirit and much better energy! 

Plus there will hopefully be some signings to come in key positions (CB, RB, AM) and we’ll ship out some stale deadwood. 

It’s all irrelevant anyway though as the news about Scotty Parker’s return to Spurs can only be hours away now! :-) 

11 hours ago, Borodin said:

I have to check the calendar to see what day of the week it is before deciding which way to go.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays it is sitting on the fence days. The rest of the week I might actually stick my head over the parapet and take a punt! 

Today being Friday and being back on my fence I am saying, "I don't really know". 

Perhaps it will work and perhaps it won't. After last season, I'm past caring - I've taken up crocheting a it is less stressful. 

COYS 

Why the need for trophy? CL. EPL. Yes for sure at all costs. But FA cup yes if not at expense of CL place. Carabao win for me would be meaningless without getting a CL place too from that season. Carabao and 6th is a failure compared to losing in our first round and being top 3/4 all season in league. 5 games in Carabao brings success one of them at least versus minnows . others likelyplaying reserves not really a great achievement as most clubs dont compete that hard in it. 

Once we have two stars for each position then maybe 

Playing in Europa League to me means youve failed either last season in the league or current season in the CL ..... And dont mention the conference!! 

30 plus decent league games a season shows some level of quality. Totally agree with Poch 

Wigan won the cup and were relegated. Quality??

49 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Why the need for trophy? CL. EPL. Yes for sure at all costs. But FA cup yes if not at expense of CL place. Carabao win for me would be meaningless without getting a CL place too from that season. Carabao and 6th is a failure compared to losing in our first round and being top 3/4 all season in league. 5 games in Carabao brings success one of them at least versus minnows . others likelyplaying reserves not really a great achievement as most clubs dont compete that hard in it. 

Once we have two stars for each position then maybe 

Playing in Europa League to me means youve failed either last season in the league or current season in the CL ..... And dont mention the conference!! 

30 plus decent league games a season shows some level of quality. Totally agree with Poch 

Wigan won the cup and were relegated. Quality??

One interesting aspect we have not yet considered is what Poch thinks of all this ?. Now we know he has been approached by Levy about coming back and if PSG refuse to let him leave then fair enough. But what if he took another job such as Real Madrid, or Inter ? Would the Spurs supporters still be as keen to see him return one day if they knew he'd turned them down once before ?

It's just a thought, we cannot simply assume at this stage of his career Poch is eager to make a Tottenham return.

2 minutes ago, Borodin said:

One interesting aspect we have not yet considered is what Poch thinks of all this ?. Now we know he has been approached by Levy about coming back and if PSG refuse to let him leave then fair enough. But what if he took another job such as Real Madrid, Juventus or Inter ? Would the Spurs supporters still be as keen to see him return one day if they knew he'd turned them down once before ?

It's just a thought, we cannot simply assume at this stage of his career Poch is eager to make a Tottenham return.

Levy has to go. Fans already forgotten it seems. Way too many mistakes made

Levy out 

When a manager comes in and instills new beliefs into the players fans squad etc its a great feeling. Burkinshaw Pleat maybe , Jol Harry to some extent and Poch . 

That some fans thought constant top 4 and CL final wasnt good enough says a lot about the heightened expectations that Poch had bought about in 4 seasons 

What does Poch think? Id be surprised if he comes. 

FFS Pirlo is now available after being sacked by Juve.

WE NEED A NEW VOTING FORM ASAP!

List of options: 

Poch, Conte, Mason, Pirlo, Martinez, Ten Haag, Zidane, Rangnick, Allegri, Inzaghi, Rodgers, Nuno, Scotty Parker, Potter, Southgate, Klinsmann, Hodgson, Jenas, Hoddle, Redknapp, Jol, Gross, Venables, Gascoigne, Nayim, Mabbutt

Who have I forgotten?

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

One interesting aspect we have not yet considered is what Poch thinks of all this ?. Now we know he has been approached by Levy about coming back and if PSG refuse to let him leave then fair enough. But what if he took another job such as Real Madrid, or Inter ? Would the Spurs supporters still be as keen to see him return one day if they knew he'd turned them down once before ?

Typical of journo speculation, it varies from defo to no chance. 

Let me just say, I wouldn't be that surprised if he came if he is in danger of being sacked. 

If he knows he is staying, I don't think he will choose Spurs in their current stage over PSG regardless of who may leave - they have cash to replace like with like. Also, I don't think Poch returning is enough to get Harry to stay - I think he had made up his mind to go 2 or 3 months ago. 

COYS 

1 hour ago, BlockFeet said:

FFS Pirlo is now available after being sacked by Juve.

WE NEED A NEW VOTING FORM ASAP!

List of options: 

Poch, Conte, Mason, Pirlo, Martinez, Ten Haag, Zidane, Rangnick, Allegri, Inzaghi, Rodgers, Nuno, Scotty Parker, Potter, Southgate, Klinsmann, Hodgson, Jenas, Hoddle, Redknapp, Jol, Gross, Venables, Gascoigne, Nayim, Mabbutt

Who have I forgotten?

Big Sam :)

2 hours ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Levy has to go. Fans already forgotten it seems. Way too many mistakes made

Levy out 

When a manager comes in and instills new beliefs into the players fans squad etc its a great feeling. Burkinshaw Pleat maybe , Jol Harry to some extent and Poch . 

That some fans thought constant top 4 and CL final wasnt good enough says a lot about the heightened expectations that Poch had bought about in 4 seasons 

What does Poch think? Id be surprised if he comes. 

Looking at this mate he's going nowhere :

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57280769

Mauricio Pochettino: PSG have no intentions of letting Argentine boss leave

Just now, Mr8ball said:

Yeah he now waiting for psg to sack him then they have Conte 

But financially that doesn't make sense. If PSG sack him then they will owe him for the 12mths he has left on his contract. Why not just let him go for nothing if he really wants to leave and come back to Spurs ...then appoint Conte ??

So many variables in this, PSG won't let him go, Poch wants to see his contract out and win the French League next season to prove himself, Poch doesn't want to return to Spurs (yet), Real Madrid are interested and PSG would prefer to deal with them..:em8:. It's all very confusing :em21: but it helps take our minds off our other problems, like getting rid of a pile of dross next window and replacing them with some quality players.

7 minutes ago, Borodin said:

But financially that doesn't make sense. If PSG sack him then they will owe him for the 12mths he has left on his contract. Why not just let him go for nothing if he really wants to leave and come back to Spurs ...then appoint Conte ??

So many variables in this, PSG won't let him go, Poch wants to see his contract out and win the French League next season to prove himself, Poch doesn't want to return to Spurs (yet), Real Madrid are interested and PSG would prefer to deal with them..:em8:. It's all very confusing :em21: but it helps take our minds off our other problems, like getting rid of a pile of dross next window and replacing them with some quality players.

I have a mate who works at Spurs and Ive texted him to ask what’s happening with the Kane and Poch rumours. I’ll advise shortly if I hear owt interesting! 

7 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

I have a mate who works at Spurs and Ive texted him to ask what’s happening with the Kane and Poch rumours. I’ll advise shortly if I hear owt interesting! 

From now on you will be regarded as this forum's ITK advisor, a position only second to @Hastingsyid who is regarded as God around here. We await whatever crumbs of information you are able to provide :thumb:

13 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Levy out

A Poch return was his last ditch gamble to win back the fans and possibly keep Harry Kane at the club. If neither of those things happen and an unsettled Son puts in a transfer request (Bayern apparently very interested) and we end up with a manager like Scott Parker then it's the end for him. He will be subject to so much abuse by the fans both at matches and online which the media will naturally  jump on. I know he's a hard faced sod but even he would struggle to rise above the surge of hatred that would surely come his way. Supporters have very, very short memories and whilst they appreciate his efforts in building such a magnificent stadium it is on the pitch that they also wish to see such high levels of quality and excellence.

38 minutes ago, Borodin said:

From now on you will be regarded as this forum's ITK advisor, a position only second to @Hastingsyid who is regarded as God around here. We await whatever crumbs of information you are able to provide :thumb:

Right then. I can’t tell you exactly what he replied as it will explain his role and give up his identity! 

But he said:
“unfortunately Daniel doesn’t disclose this information with me in [my role].

So not much use! 

Note the first name terms on Daniel! 

12 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

Right then. I can’t tell you exactly what he replied as it will explain his role and give up his identity! 

But he said:

So not much use! 

You've just been relegated :nn: Never mind...you tried. :thumb:

56 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

But he said:

So not much use! 

So your guy is the doorman at Spurs stadium then?

:)