Spurs Web
Knightwriter

Dembele and Paulinho

Erikesen is probably our most creative intelligent midfielder. If we are going to play 442 then he should be in the middle surely and our when everybody is fit surely Sandro goes in there too so for me Sandro eriksen should be our midfield two if your looking at finding the right balance imo. For the 442 our squad is too unbalanced so some central midfielders need to go but even if they do we're going to be left with central/attacking midfielders getting very pissed off on then bench.

Erikesen is probably our most creative intelligent midfielder. If we are going to play 442 then he should be in the middle surely and our when everybody is fit surely Sandro goes in there too so for me Sandro eriksen should be our midfield two if your looking at finding the right balance imo. For the 442 our squad is too unbalanced so some central midfielders need to go but even if they do we're going to be left with central/attacking midfielders getting very pissed off on then bench.

Well said Smudge

Got to give Reid some credit, he has got himself in really good shape at Forest and is putting in some really good performances. Seen them quite a few times and it's good that he's settled and is at the right level. He was never going to be able to cut it at the top level. 

You have to consider what is possible in life, which is why I love Bill Nic and his philosophy. 

That's what they do in other countries even when the greatest football team of all time (Barcelona of last decade) is losing every game as kids.  'Xavi hasn't the build, he's too slow, he's puggy, he'll never be able to play top level' etc.  Word for word what was said about him.  He said it himself.  Probably would be playing for Forest under different circumstances and without such backing.  You do see such things.  Could be a lot worse.  There are many players that haven't made it that are geniuses and sit at home watching football for their own failings or the failings of coaches.

You think Reid was never going to be able?  How many players in the championship have won man of the match against both Brazil and Germany?

He's seen and hit passes only rare players on the planet could even dream about.  He played a pass against Germany outside of the boot and it went around one player, rose over another, and backspinned itself on a six pence perfectly for Robbie Keane.  There was no room from the markers or over the top and yet he put someone clean through. Only Riquelme at the time was capable of that pass.  Keano is not the best when he has time and space to score and he unfortunately fluffed it.  And Reid ran that game start to finish, he was unreal.

When Andy was at Charlton, Les Reed said he could not believe what he was watching and compared him to Puskas.  He also built the team around him, played him at the head of three and Reidy was playing very well.  Unfortunately Les got the bullet and that was the end of that.

When Kinnear had him at Forest he told Sir Alex that he could easily play for Utd.  A lot of the problems Reid has had were that he was played left when he got his big chances at club level.  He can't play wide, other than championship, he is too slow for that area.  Roy Keane played him in a two in midfield at Sunderland and he was doing fine, but that's not ideal either.

Only Les Reed saw what to do with him.  Happens to players of all sorts, played out of position and then often don't get the career they deserve.

His work rate is no worse than many players currently playing midfield at the top level.  As John Giles said, 'it's not like he doesn't put a shift in, you just would have to make allowances for his build and not put him in a two in midfield'.

If he was Argentinian and they had our pool of players they'd have built the team around him and Hoolahan.  And if he was in la liga someone in the top ten would've built a team around him as well.

There is an obsession amongst most managers that players have to be box to box and so on.  It's a great pity because some fantastic players have been allowed to slip between the cracks and replaced with muckers.

You can say what ever you want but the caps and premier league appearances Whelan has compared to Reid is farsical.

I'm not being unrealistic, fact is there's a reason philosophy in some countries is so far ahead of others and this concept is the crux of the whole thing. 

You've Tom Hudd getting star billing at Hull and he's less athletic than Reid.  He gets repeatedly done, covers far less ground and has real trouble getting the ball out of his feet to use his ability.  When he has loads of time he can hit a pass like Reid on either foot, but he would not have the same assists, vision for a pass or the quick feet and ball control.  Hudd never seems to dominate on set pieces like he should and the way Reid can put a ball in either.

Why is he picked?  Not saying he shouldn't be, because he can play, but because he's big he seems to get a pass that Reid doesn't.

Turk I don't think you can have the right mentality of a big side until you are, in fact, a big side.  This is why I think it's devestating that we're out of both the FA and Carling Cups...winning breeds confidence and the right mental toughness required to succeed.   Teams need to learn to close the door and win...not chase a top 4 spot in the league. I understand the almighty dollar drives the business of football but what drives championships is the ability to close out and win.

I desperately want Spurs to be considered a big side capable of challenging for Champions League titles and BPL titles but until they start winning I'm afraid we'll have to settle for being happy for a top 4.

I believe this team can win...I believed in them to win the Carling and FA Cups...I believe that this squad can win Europa...winning is what we need to do.  COYS!

I don't agree, I feel both Dembele and Pauline are natural CM and will fit well with Sandro. My only gripe would be none are able to control a game in the way Modric would, but if we can keep a strong shape and get Eriksen, Lamela on the ball I wouldn't see that as a big problem. Plus Carroll and Bentaleb have shown they can both control the ball.

We certainly have bigger characters in the treatment room, but I'm not convinced we have the right mentality to be a big side. Love to be proved wrong.

Lloris, Dawson, Walker, Sandro certainly. Not sure about Vlad yet. Personally been disappointed with Verts attitude this season. Rose is very aggressive, I do like him, so hopefully he'll continue to develop.

Isn't it chicken or egg though Joe?

I mean the psychologists point out the obvious that you have to have confidence to win.  And you get confidence from winning.

So there fore you have to create confidence first.  And you do that from having a vision for yourself and your team, hard work on the training ground and doing everything you need to be a top player in conditioning, fitness, mentally, technically, tactically.

And as you win games you build that too.  I must say I like the culture at spurs now and Levy created that from the ground up.  I think it will lead to success and maybe great success.  It has changed drastically from 10 years ago when spurs had no underbelly, no structure, no winning mentality.  You could get in their faces and turn them over.

All these young players we have and the players coming out of the academy seem to have a great attitude imo.  They are hungry to be top players and to win.

When you see these lads with the conditioning they have, that is one sign they are going the extra mile and being taught that way.  It is very hard to outmuscle them or outwork or outpace them.  Another is how often we seem to win from behind and close matches which shows strong will to win.  That imo along with our quality is the reason we are still up there despite all the problems with settling new players, a new team and so on.

I think Eriksen looks really good out wide, now in time I'd like to see him move central but until the team settles I quite like him roaming around from the left. He's played 3 games out left, scored 2, made 1 assist.

We've looked much more balanced recently as well.

You are right...it is a chicken and the egg thing.

You do gain confidence from winning...but only if you do it consistently and you "earn" that win (i.e. control the flow, dominate possession and ultimately the scoreboard).  At least that's what I've observed following all varieties of sports through the years...

The cups offer the opportunity to win (considering the lack of quality that some of the top teams field).  Consistently winning and/or dominating in matches that matter is something that hasn't occured as of yet - funny to type it considering where we are in the standings. 

Either way, I think my point is people see the cups as a waste of our time and not a big deal to lose but for a club that prides itself on its rich history and wants to be great...you start to build the foundation of success through winning...losing should always be a big deal regardless of the stakes.

Isn't it chicken or egg though Joe?

I mean the psychologists point out the obvious that you have to have confidence to win.  And you get confidence from winning.

So there fore you have to create confidence first.  And you do that from having a vision for yourself and your team, hard work on the training ground and doing everything you need to be a top player in conditioning, fitness, mentally, technically, tactically.

And as you win games you build that too.  I must say I like the culture at spurs now and Levy created that from the ground up.  I think it will lead to success and maybe great success.  It has changed drastically from 10 years ago when spurs had no underbelly, no structure, no winning mentality.  You could get in their faces and turn them over.

All these young players we have and the players coming out of the academy seem to have a great attitude imo.  They are hungry to be top players and to win.

When you see these lads with the conditioning they have, that is one sign they are going the extra mile and being taught that way.  It is very hard to outmuscle them or outwork or outpace them.  Another is how often we seem to win from behind and close matches which shows strong will to win.  That imo along with our quality is the reason we are still up there despite all the problems with settling new players, a new team and so on.

I don't think we lack confidence Joe.  And I think the club is well structured and will do well.  It is doing well actually.  You can only ask for improvement and we look better as a club year on year.  It isn't totally showing at the moment due to temporary issues but the foundations are better year after year if you ask me.

More results will come, better performances will come and then you'll have more momentum as well.

A striker scoring always plays with confidence, a team top of the table and trophies always plays with confidence, but more pertinent imo is how you get to the where you have such situations.  And I think we are creating the right conditions to have chances for that to happen.

I also think you can win a cup with a bit of luck and a few good matches, but I'd take the above every day of the week in terms of future improvement.  I don't think winning alone cuts it unless you have the real foundations to keep getting better.  Many teams win the league and nearly always start well, especially if they haven't done it before.  They are still on a high.  But if they aren't really cutting it or there is a better team they soon get found out.

I see confidence coming to the players and the team by our results and performances. First you need to win, then you can get better and add some momentum and invincibility.  We are doing fine.  The performances are showing up in some games.  We played well against Stoke and at United.

And to me it all comes back to structure at the club to start each part of the chain on the right path, which for me we have.  But a lot will depend on Sherwood.  If he can't set the correct structure through to the senior coaching then we will have to get someone else.  I think he's showing good signs that he can though.

I suppose you're right...I hope that the confidence this team has continues to grow because after a week of talking about needing to stomp the likes of CP we were badly outplayed for the first 45.   Now that may be a case of over confidence.

Time will tell whether Tim is the man for the job or not...I'm truly hoping he is because if he is it'll mean we're sitting pretty come seasons end.

Will Tim play Eriksen in central midfield again when Townsend in back?

It's a fantastic conundrum to have but I think Townsend is pretty much a certainty under Tim down the left wing. And Eriksen for me must start when fit, so we either move him to CM or we drop Soldado and move Eriksen into AM. 

Got to give Reid some credit, he has got himself in really good shape at Forest and is putting in some really good performances. Seen them quite a few times and it's good that he's settled and is at the right level. He was never going to be able to cut it at the top level.

loved a pint and a pie!

The loan system might be our friend with one or two midfielders that will not be getting the playing time, but that we don't want to later regret selling.

With foreigners settling in England, like Holtby and Capoue, it might be a good idea to loan them out to another prem club.

There's talk of Chadli wanting out now as well.  He's improving since just before AVB left.  He's got talent and physical attributes. He also covers both wings with his pace and two footedness.  He can play centre forward or attacking central mid as well.  I think he should be kept, used, given starts in rotation and not even loaned out, especially since he looks like he is finding his feet.

I'd sell Siggy.  He's not up to it imo.

I think Eriksen looks really good out wide, now in time I'd like to see him move central but until the team settles I quite like him roaming around from the left. He's played 3 games out left, scored 2, made 1 assist.

We've looked much more balanced recently as well.

I do agree but my thinking is more based on the fact that i  would of thought tim would of put naturally wide left players like townsend possibly lamela there when they return from injury and moved him inside to his preferred position and we'd get even more from him.Thinking back though to when harry was 1st in charge he played modric left and i thought modric was outstanding out there.

The loan system might be our friend with one or two midfielders that will not be getting the playing time, but that we don't want to later regret selling.

With foreigners settling in England, like Holtby and Capoue, it might be a good idea to loan them out to another prem club.

There's talk of Chadli wanting out now as well.  He's improving since just before AVB left.  He's got talent and physical attributes. He also covers both wings with his pace and two footedness.  He can play centre forward or attacking central mid as well.  I think he should be kept, used, given starts in rotation and not even loaned out, especially since he looks like he is finding his feet.

I'd sell Siggy.  He's not up to it imo.

Completely agree apart from chadli. I think it would be wrong to sell holtby and capoue as i think they are quality players but loan moves would be great for them to show what they can do and prove themselves. Think chadli needs to go on loan i liked him on the right but townsend can play there and left.Siggy who i do have a soft spot for i feel should move on now good player though.